The adjustment to eating real food can be a shock to the food bill, but this recipe is the exception. This is one of my go-to recipes because it is fast and inexpensive to make. My one year-old will even eat cabbage when I make it this way!
I love this beef and cabbage stir fry recipe because it comes together quickly and easily and only gets one pan dirty! It is a healthy version of Hamburger Helper and it packs a delicious punch of nutrition.
TIP: Let the children help prepare this stir fry by letting them cut the vegetables. Even really little ones can use a crinkle cutter to safely cut veggies. I find that my kids are more likely to eat a recipe if they help prepare it and it keeps them busy and happy while I cook. (This is the crinkle cutter we have)
There are also a lot of variations to this recipe:
- Add cumin, chili powder and salsa to make a Mexican version
- Add fermented soy sauce and ginger to make a Chinese Variation
- Add a dozen eggs after it is cooked and bake to make a casserole
Another simple one-pan recipe that is a favorite at our house is Pakistani Kima, which also uses ground beef but also uses sweet potato and green beans as the vegetables and seasons with a hint of curry.
The herbs and spices I use for this recipe and many others can be found on my resources page.
Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
Yield 4 -6
Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry that is fast and simple to make. Flavor variations make this recipe versatile and kid-approved.
- 1 lb ground beef (or turkey, venison, etc)
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- Spices to taste: salt, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, etc- I use at least a teaspoon of each
- Brown beef in a large skillet or wok, adding spices to taste as you go.
- When beef is almost completely browned, add sliced onions and grated carrots.
- When onions/carrots are starting to soften, add the cabbage and spice well.
- Cook about 10 more minutes, stirring often until cabbage starts to soften.
- Can be topped with salsa or sour cream if desired.
What is your best quick go-to dinner recipe? Share below!