Buckle your seatbelts… we’re going there! Today we talk in-depth about genetically modified organisms, better known as GMOs. This is not exactly my field of study and certainly a very controversial issue, so I’ve asked Jeffrey Smith, man behind the compelling new documentary Secret Ingredients, to shed some light on the topic for us.
For more than two decades, Jeffrey’s research has exposed how biotech companies misled policymakers and the public to further the cause of GMO crops, putting the health of society and the environment at risk. You may know of him through his feature-length documentary Genetic Roulette: The Gamble of Our Lives, which was seen by millions worldwide and received many awards. His new film also links genetically engineered food to toxic and allergic reactions, infertility, digestive disorders, and many other chronic problems that have been on the rise in the U.S.
Episode Highlights: Secret Ingredients
- How Jeffrey learned what the biotech industry hides about GMOs
- The process for genetic engineering of crops and how it works
- Why so many claim that GMOs are completely safe
- What the science is saying about Roundup or glyphosate
- Whether it’s true that we need GMO crop to keep from going hungry
- The truth about politics behind food policy in the U.S. today
- Why Europe isn’t on board with consuming genetically modified crops
- Possible effects of pesticides like Roundup and BT on hormones, neurotransmitters, allergies and more
- Which grains and legumes contain the most glyphosate
- And some good news about GMOs as well!
Resources We Mention
Also by Jeffrey Smith:
More From Wellness Mama
- 475: Jeffrey Smith on the Existential Threat of Gene-Edited Microbes
- 441: METABOLICAL: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine With Dr. Robert Lustig
- 449: Randy Newberg on Seasonal Eating, Sustainable Food Sourcing, and Learning From the Outdoors
- 299: How Serenity Kids Is Revolutionizing the Baby Food Industry
- 205: Everything You Need to Know About GMOs, Glyphosate, and Gut Health With Dr. Zach Bush
- 133: GMOs, Glyphosate, Organic Food & What’s Making Our Children Sick
- 35: GMOs & How to Test for Glyphosate
- 25: Autoimmunity, GMOs & Food as Medicine
- The Real Problem with Grains
- Are Sprouted, Soaked, & Fermented Grains Healthy?
- Backyard Farming: How to Homestead in the City
- Organic Pest Control for Gardens (Natural Options)
- Organic Gardening 101: How to Start Your Own Backyard Garden
What’s your take on GMOs? Do you have more questions I can pass on to Jeffrey? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Joovv. You’ve probably heard me talk about red light therapy before and the one I personally have in my home and use is the Joovv light. You may have seen red light therapy used on your face if you’ve ever received certain high end facial treatments at a spa or clinic…. This is because red light in certain wavelengths has big benefits for the skin including the potential for smoother more elastic skin because it helps the body’s collagen process. Red light therapy is also known as photobiomodulation (PBM), low level light therapy (LLLT), biostimulation, photonic stimulation or light box therapy. These specific wavelengths of red light create a biochemical affect in our cells that serves to increase mitochondrial function and thereby improves ATP (adenosine triphosphate) production in the body. ATP = energy in the body so increasing it is a big deal. There is also some evidence that this can reduce inflammation which is why many people are turning to red light therapy for relief of joint pain as well. Joovv now has a smaller, convenient and affordable option called the Joovv Go that is perfect for use on the face or joints and is easy to travel with. Their bigger options are modular so you can buy just one or connect up to six for an entire red light wall. Check out the benefits of red light therapy and learn more at joovv.com/wellnessmama
This podcast is sponsored by SteadyMD, the innovative new way that I found and connect with my primary care doctor using concierge medicine. The idea of concierge medicine used to be something reserved for celebrities and the ultra rich, and it didn’t seem accessible to the rest of us. The concept is great — having a doctor who you know and trust and who knows your medical history always available when you need him/her. I’ve loved the idea of it for years, and was so excited when I finally found an affordable and personalized option that made this available to everyone. Think about this… we can do almost everything else virtually these days… The digital aspect makes it affordable…$169/month for a family plan two parents and all kids. This also allows the doctors to take fewer patients so they have more time and attention for each patient. Essentially, it feels like the modern equivalent of a country medicine doctor who comes to your house when you have a medical need. Except it makes the best use of technology so we get instant access instead via text, email or even video chat. Find out more about how it works and take their free quiz to get matched with a doctor that fits your needs at steadymd.com/wellnessmama