I’m here with Randy Newberg, the host of popular TV shows and podcasts focused on self-guided public land hunting, conservation, and environmentalism. We discuss some misconceptions around these topics and really delve into the difference we make when we source our food as locally and as sustainably as possible, whether it be through gardening, fishing, or hunting.
In a lot of ways, some of the current generations are missing out on some beautiful lessons like spending time outdoors, learning from failures, and developing the sense of responsibility that comes with sourcing our own food. I think about these things more and more as my kids get older. This podcast has some great ideas to help families cultivate a deeper appreciation for our natural resources.
It was a really fun episode. I think you’ll learn a lot!
Episode Highlights With Randy Newberg
- One often-overlooked way hunters actually help animals and the environment
- How the global impact of individual choices adds up
- Tips for shopping your local farmer’s market
- How procuring your own food is a life lesson in appreciation, stewardship, and responsibility
- Why local food creates community
- Benefits of spending time outdoors (and outdoor skills every kid should learn)
- Why Randy chose “Be uncomfortable” as his life’s motto
- Some land and wildlife conservation efforts worth supporting
- An instinctive way to handle food sensitivities
- Tips for finding and creating new and “wild” life experiences
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Randy Newberg Website | YouTube
- Hunt Talk Radio (Randy’s podcast)
- A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold
- Hank Shaw, Hunt to Eat
- Hunt, Gather, Cook by Hank Shaw
More From Wellness Mama
- 414: Ancestral Parenting, Biological Norms, Wild Food, and Foraging With Arthur Haines
- 442: Chemicals, Not Cows, Are Killing Insects and Destroying the Ocean With John Roulac
- 396: A Better Way to Connect With Small, Sustainable Farms, and Agriculture With LAEF
- 423: The Surprising Reasons Why Some Kids Struggle and Others Shine With Dr. Michele Borba
- Ecotherapy: The Health Benefits of Nature
- Why Kids Need Knife Skills
- Are Organ Meats Healthy?
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Paleovalley – they’ve been my go-to source for grass-fed beef sticks for years and I’m also loving their bone broth protein these days as well. It’s made from 100% Grass Fed and Finished Cows never given antibiotics, steroids, or hormones – so these dangerous compounds do not end up in the final product. They are also made from bones, not hides. Most companies use the hides from animals because it is cheaper. When collagen is sourced from the animal’s skin, we miss out on all of the extra nutrients and restorative benefits of the bones. Another thing that sets them apart is that it’s not processed with high heat – which can denature and coagulate the protein making it harder for the body to absorb and use. Extreme temperatures can also destroy more heat sensitive amino acids and other nutrients or make the protein resistant to digestive enzymes, which also decreases absorption. It’s also 3rd party tested for pesticides, herbicides, and heavy metals to make sure they are safe. Check this out and all of their products at paleovalley.com/mama for 15% off.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse – my new personal care product line of natural and good-for-you haircare, toothpaste, hand sanitizer and more. You’ve likely heard that much of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body, which is a good reason to avoid harmful products, but you can also use this to your advantage by putting beneficial things on your body! Realizing that many of my closest friends still used certain conventional personal care products even though they’d cleaned up many other parts of their diet and home, I set out to create alternatives that outperformed the existing conventional options, with no harmful ingredients, and Wellnesse was born. Our good-for-you haircare and mineral rich toothpaste nourish your body from the outside in while you nourish it from the inside out, for amazing hair and teeth. Check it out at Wellnesse.com.