Warning: if you have a sweet tooth, you might not like what you hear in this episode! Dr. Robert Lustig is a professor of pediatrics in the division of endocrinology and a member of the Institute for Health Policy Studies at the University of California at San Francisco. He has authored over 130 peer-reviewed articles, 80 academic chapters and reviews, and dozens of other papers. His 2009 YouTube lecture “Sugar: The Bitter Truth” now has over 12 million views (and this is how I first found him).
Today we’re talking about the subject of his new incredibly well-written new book, Metabolical: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine. I love his explanation of what it really means to be metabolically healthy, how you might be poisoning your mitochondria without knowing it, and how food could be directly connected to the dramatic rise of dementia and other diseases.
In fact, he makes a really strong case, as controversial as it may seem to some, for why there is no place for sugar and processed food in our lives.
Take a listen and weigh in with your thoughts in the comments!
Episode Highlights With Robert Lustig
- What it means to be actually metabolically healthy (hint: mitochondria that work)
- The things you might be accidentally eating that poison your mitochondria
- Hidden chemicals in food that hurt the gut and the liver
- Why dementia is on the rise and how it relates to food
- The reason disease is just a symptom of the actual problem
- Eight terms you’ve never heard that are subcellular things related to chronic disease
- A layman’s guide to medical terms like glycation, oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, insulin resistance, autophagy, methylation, membrane instability
- The very drastic way food can fix our body
- How to reverse damage to the body in as little as nine days
- How the food industry manipulates the price of food and why you are paying more for less nutritious food
- The importance of protecting the liver and supporting the gut
- The commonalities of all the different dietary approaches that work- and why that is more important to focus on than the differences
TIP: If your food has a label… consider it a warning label. Broccoli doesn’t have a label… labels are only needed if something has been done to it. Choose foods without a label!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Robert Lustig
- Metabolical and Robert’s other books
- The Lives of a Cell
- Pure, White & Deadly How Sugar Is Killing Us and What We Can Do to Stop It by John Yudkin
- Robert Lustig’s viral YouTube lecture on sugar:
More From Wellness Mama
- 438: Hacking Chemo: Metabolic Factors That Affect Cancer Recovery With Martha Tettenborn
- 383: Resilience, Mitochondrial Health, Peptides, and Smart Supplementation With World’s Leading Biochemist Shawn Wells
- 402: How to Use Glucose as a Continuous Health Marker for Metabolic Health With Dr. Casey Means of Levels
- 439: An Interview With My Five-Year-Old About Food and Family Culture
- 437: Health Optimization Medicine, Nootropics, and Anti-Aging With Polymath Dr. Ted Achacoso
- 430: How to Eat Better to Feel Better (and Stay Balanced) With Giada De Laurentiis
- The Harmful Effects of Sugar
- How to Get Kids to Eat Healthy Food
- How to Do a Sugar Detox (& Why Everyone Should)
Are you convinced? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Just Thrive, the probiotic I take regularly. Here’s why I love them: Up to 80% of our immune system lives in our gut, and as much as 90% of Americans have some kind of gut related issue from bloating to digestive issues to reflux. The problem is, according to research, 99.9% of the probiotics on the market die in your naturally harsh stomach acid before they get to where they’re needed (even and especially the refrigerated ones). But these are different. The proprietary strains have been 3rd party clinically tested and proven to arrive 100% alive in your gut and studies show their spore strains are 1000x more effective than most brands on the market. This is also the only brand to contain the patented strain HU-36 which produces antioxidants at the most bio-available location in your body. I notice better digestion, immune support, skin improvements and I think this was a part of improving my gut bacteria to lead to weight loss. Learn more and save 15% at justthrivehealth.com/wellnessmama.
This episode is sponsored by Paleovalley, my source for grass fed beef sticks but I’m also loving their Apple Cider Vinegar Complex. It lets me get all of the healing properties of apple cider vinegar into daily diet without the taste or the burn. ACV has been shown to support with digestion, breaking down proteins (amino acids) for better absorption, and improving the blood sugar response supporting with satiety and cravings. The main ingredient, Acetic Acid, supports in extracting nutrients from food for use by the body. Acetic Acid works against enzymes that digest starch in stomachs so you can absorb fewer calories. It also improves satiety (studies show may help you eat 200-300 less calories a day),improves blood sugar response, and helps us store less fat. Check this out and all of their products at paleovalley.com/mama for 15% off