I’ve spent many years researching and writing about gut health, but current research shows much of what we thought we knew about probiotics is just plain wrong. It’s time to get some clarity! Kiran Krishnan is undisputedly one of the world’s experts on probiotics as a research microbiologist who has been involved in the dietary supplement and nutrition market for 17 years. He comes from a strict research background and has designed and conducted dozens of human clinical trials and human nutrition.
Currently, Kiran is the Acting Chief Scientific Officer at Positions Exclusive and Microbiome Labs and is involved in nine human clinical trials on probiotics and the human microbiome. There’s new research coming out every day but it isn’t always easy to understand for the layperson, so I’m glad he’s here today to explain.
Episode Highlights With Kiran Krishnan
- What leaky gut is and why chances are good that you have it
- The reason that 55% of healthy college students had severe leaky gut when tested
- What happens when leaky gut continues for a long time and how the body reacts
- The biggest factors that contribute to leaky gut
- How often antibiotics are used unnecessarily
- Why one course of antibiotics can disrupt the microbiome for up to 2 years
- How pesticides in foods can impact the gut
- Why our overly sterile world is more harmful than helpful
- The reason we need bacteria and to be a little dirty to thrive
- Why lactobacillus bacteria are not the most beneficial strains for humans
- How most bacteria die before they ever reach the gut
- The actual benefit of fermented foods (it isn’t the bacteria)
- What bacteria ARE health promoting and how to identify them
- Why metabolic endotoxemia is probably affecting your daily life even if you’ve never heard of it
- The reason your gut could be making you anxious or depressed
- A reason addiction can be rooted in the gut
- How some antibiotics can lead to anxiety and depression
- Important factors for pregnant moms to optimize
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 9: Leaky Gut, Heartburn, & Digestion
- 53: Does Leaky Gut Cause Autoimmunity?
- 62: Good Clean Dirt with Jasmina Aganovic of Mother Dirt
- 96: Using Natural and Traditional Medicine to Fix the Gut Microbiome with Dr. Ken Brown
- 244: Debunking Probiotic Myths With Just Thrive Founder Tina Anderson
- 278: Pet Health and Natural Remedies With Full Bucket Health
- Do You Have a Stinking Gut? (And Why You Should Want One)
- Can Probiotics Improve Your Brain?
- Best Baby Probiotics for Infants
- Why Kids Need Dirt
- Probiotic Benefits, Myths, and What I Take
- Leaky Gut Diet & My Experience with GAPS & SCD
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have about gut health? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Branch Basics. This is one of my favorite companies because they are tackling two major problems with one simple solution. We’ve all heard about the problems with single-use plastic, and if you’ve read my blog, you know all the potential pitfalls of harsh household cleaners. Branch Basics helps on both fronts. They have the world’s safest non-toxic cleaning concentrate that is plant based, biodegradeable, non-GMO, and not tested on animals. Since it is a concentrate, a single bottle lasts a really long time and cuts down on extra plastic bottles for other cleaners. It’s gentle enough to be used on skin, even on babies, but strong enough to clean floors, make an all purpose cleaner and even treat stains. Their bottles are all reusable or you can do what I do and mix everything in reusable glass bottles instead. And when I say it is good for everything, I mean it! I carry a travel-size foamer pump when I travel for use as hand soap, face wash, shampoo, eye makeup remover and stain treatment, and use the same concentrate at home to make practically every cleaning product in my home. You may have seen on my IG how I used their cleaning concentrate and oxygen boost to wash my white couches naturally. I use Branch Basics in some way every single day. Check it out and grab some at branchbasics.com/wellnessmama and save 15% on starter kits with the code MAMA15.
This episode is brought to you by Alitura Naturals Skin Care. You guys loved the founder, Andy, when he came on this podcast to talk about his own skin healing journey after a tragic accident that caused massive scarring on his face. From this experience he developed some of the most potent and effective natural skincare options from serums to masks, and the results are visible in his perfectly clear skin that is free of scars! I love the mask and use it a couple times a week, and often use the gold serum at night to nourish my skin while I sleep. All of their products have super clean ingredients and they really work! Andy is absolutely dedicated to creating the highest quality products possible and it shows. Check them out at alituranaturals.com/wellnessmama and use the discount code WELLNESS to get 20% off.