I’m so glad to welcome my friend Hunter Cook back to the show today, because he’s a big reason why I’m more flexible and healthy today than I have been in a long time. Hunter and I became close friends when I visited Finland with Four Sigmatic, which was easy to do since he’s such an inspiring person!
He founded Hunter Fitness, an incredible mobility-based fitness program. I’ve seen great results from it in my own life, especially his program called CARs (which stands for “Controlled Articular Rotations,” if you’re curious).
In this episode, we dive into ways to increase your mobility and joint health, and how to learn the basic techniques to build a sustainable, foundational exercise routine for an active and healthy life.
Be sure to check out the CARS video below, a bonus he usually only sends out to registered members!
Episode Highlights With Hunter Cook
- What Hunter taught me in Finland (that I’ve done every day since)
- The daily practice to add to your morning routine to feel younger and more flexible
- Why movement is the ultimate antidote to aging
- Reasons to add FRC and Kinstretch to your workout routine
- How to stretch and strengthen muscles at the same time
- Why fit and active people are not always pain-free
- Ways to protect yourself (and your children) from injury
- How to individualize your workout and daily movement
- The science behind muscle tension and chronic injury (and how to avoid it)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Hunter Fitness
- Hunter Fitness CARs video exclusive for the Wellness Mama community
- Previous Podcast: Solving Joint Pain & Why Sports Aren’t Good for Kids With Hunter Fitness
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
- Podcast: Lessons Learned From Finland: 8 Things We Can All Learn
More From Wellness Mama
- 376: How to Use Everyday Activities to Rewire the Brain for Calmer Kids With Brain Harmony
- 326: The Catastrophic Consequences of Sitting Too Much and What to Do About It With Dr. Turner Osler
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- 304: Ninja Warrior Travis Brewer on Movement, Gratitude, and Play
- 273: The Power of Movement for Mind and Body With Aaron Alexander of The Align Podcast
- 202: How Footwear Affects Posture, Alignment, & Movement With Gordon Hay From ALINE
- 190: The Easiest Way to Track HRV, Sleep, and Movement With Oura Ring
- The Neuroscience of Play & Why Kids Need It
- How to Improve the Vestibular System with Sensory Swings & Activities
- How to Lose Weight: What Worked for Me to Lose 80+ Pounds
How do you stay flexible? Do you have questions I can pass on to Hunter? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. You’ve probably heard me talk about them before. I love this company that is known for its delicious superfood, mushroom elixirs, and especially mushroom coffees. I have been starting my day with their ground mushroom coffee with Lion’s Mane for a long time. And I love how much it helps me focus and stay creative and productive the whole day. Mushroom coffee is more than just regular coffee. The addition of this incredible mushroom, Lion’s Mane, supports productivity and creativity in a really unique way. This coffee also includes Chaga, which I’ve talked about on this podcast before. It’s known as the king of mushrooms. And I love it as a functional mushroom because it supports whole-body health and its antioxidant properties give it a special ability to help support regular immune system function. One question I get a lot when it comes to this is, does this coffee taste like mushrooms? And I can guarantee and want to make sure I explain, it tastes just like regular coffee, not at all like mushrooms. But you get the benefits of these incredible mushrooms that, like I said, they improve my whole day. Mushroom coffee is also gentle and easy on the gut. So I find I’m much less jittery than when I drink other types of coffee and there’s no crash at the end. The reason I love Four Sigmatic so much, all of their products are organic, vegan, and gluten-free, and they test every single batch in a third-party lab to make sure it doesn’t have any heavy metals or allergens, bad bacteria, yeast, mold, mycotoxins, pesticides, etc. So, you are getting not just really high-quality coffee but also that extra boost from these highly beneficial mushrooms. And I personally know the founder of Four Sigmatic and the standards that go into these products. They stand behind everything with 100% money-back guarantee. I worked out an exclusive offer just for podcast listeners to receive a 10% discount on any Four Sigmatic order. It’s a perfect time to try all of their best-selling blends. Like I said, I love their mushroom coffee with Lion’s Mane, also a really big fan of their Reishi Elixir and Reishi Cacao for at night to help me drift into really deep restful sleep. And they have other single and blended mushroom elixirs that I often incorporate during the day because they don’t have caffeine but do give a boost of antioxidants and other beneficial compounds. To check all of it out, go to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and use the code Wellnessmama at checkout to save 10%.
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that is based on the recipes I’ve been making at home in my kitchen for decades. Many “clean” products simply don’t work and this is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but contain ingredients that work better than their conventional alternatives and that nourish your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to finally share these products with you and wanted to tell you about our brand new dry shampoo! It can be used various ways. You can sprinkle it in clean hair to add volume and to extend time between washes, sprinkle it in hair that has not been washed in a day or two to absorb oil or sweat and you can work in to color treated hair to maintain color-treated hair by not having to wash as often. It contains oil-absorbing kaolin clay and volume-boosting tapioca which work together to refresh hair at the roots. Lavender oil and cactus flower help to balance scalp and strands’ natural pH. We even added hibiscus for healthy hair growth. You can check it out and try it at wellnesse.com and my tip is to grab a bundle to save or subscribe and save as well.