The average American spends 8 hours a day sitting… just let that sink in…
If there’s anything we spend that much time doing, we should be sure we know what it’s doing to our bodies! Dr. Turner Osler, a retired academic trauma surgeon turned research epidemiologist, who has published over 300 peer-reviewed medical papers, is here with some really fascinating, easy to implement, and practical tips that can benefit posture, core strength, and even sensory and attention issues in kids.
As a physician who suffered from the tyranny of conventional chairs for most of his life, his quest for a healthier way to sit led him to develop the RedRocker, which is a new geometric solid kind of a device, the Eccentric Bicylinder, and also these active seating products that we’re gonna talk about today, including one that can be used for kids and adults called ButtOn Chairs.
The best part is, Dr. Turner has created a solution to these problems as an open-source project so that you can make it at, essentially, almost no cost at home!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Turner Osler
- Whether sitting really is the new smoking
- The number of Americans that deal with back pain
- His take on standing desks (not what you would think!)
- The physical and psychological effects of not moving (especially for kids)
- How the brain is hardwired to the body and vice versa
- Why Dr. Turner makes his chair free to make (the reason is awesome)
- How the way you sit could cause or prevent a heart attack
- Changes to make to your workspace or home office
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- QOR360 Use code wellnessmama for 5% off products (not including the ButtOn Chair)
- ButtOn Chair review
- Article: Is Your Office Chair Hurting You?
- Yoga Swing
- Article: Alternatives to Using a Chair at a Desk
More From Wellness Mama
- 302: 5 Ways to Move for Improved Posture, Sleep, and Health With Align Method
- 304: Ninja Warrior Travis Brewer on Movement, Gratitude, and Play
- 273: The Power of Movement for Mind and Body With Aaron Alexander of The Align Podcast
- 267: Solving Joint Pain & Why Sports Aren’t Good for Kids With Hunter Fitness
- 482: Katy Bowman on Grow Wild & Optimal Movement for Children and Families
- 21: The Problem with Sitting: A Solution
- Ways to Activate the Lymphatic System to Boost Immunity
- Benefits of Inversion Therapy (& How to Do It at Home)
- Is Sitting Worse than Eating Donuts?
Do you have a desk job? What kind of chair do you use? Do you struggle with posture or joint pain? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by The Ready State. If you’re at all like me, you might have perpetual stiffness and pain in your neck and shoulders from years of working, carrying kids, and all of the demands of parenting. Or you might have sore hips from too much sitting or multiple pregnancies. I found a great way to relieve my aches and pains and improve my fitness and flexibility. It’s from someone I highly respect… Dr. Kelly Starrett at The Ready State. If you don’t know Kelly, he’s a mobility and movement coach for Olympic gold medalists, world champions, and pro athletes. He’s the author of two New York Times bestselling books, including “Becoming a Supple Leopard,” which has sold over half a million copies. He has over 150,000 hours of hands-on experience training athletes at the highest levels and is a Doctor of Physical Therapy who helps top companies, military organizations, and universities improve the wellness and resilience of their team members. He created a program called Virtual Mobility Coach. This program is easy to do from home each day, making it ideal for me, and for most moms. I can do it with my kids. Every day, Virtual Mobility Coach gives you fresh, guided video exercises. They show you proven techniques to take care of your body, relieve pain, and improve flexibility. And you can customize your videos in three ways. If you’re in pain, you can pull up a picture of the human body and click on what hurts. And from there, Virtual Mobility Coach will give you a customized pain prescription to help you find relief. Second, you can find a library of soothing recovery routines in the daily maintenance section. They’re a great way to wind-down and practice self-care from the comfort of your home. And third, for athletes, Virtual Mobility Coach also has an entire section of pre- and post-exercise routines for more than four dozen sports and activities. They help you warm-up before your workout so you can perform your best with a lower risk of injury. Right now, you can try Virtual Mobility Coach totally risk-free for two weeks without paying a penny. And after that, you can get 50% off your first three months. Just go to thereadystate.com/wellnessmama and use code WELLNESSMAMA50 at checkout. That’s half-off your first three months when you sign up for a monthly plan. And you’ll get personalized techniques to relieve nagging pain and improve your fitness and flexibility.
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, a new company I co-founded to tackle the toughest personal care products and create natural and safe products that work as well as conventional alternatives. I realized that even the most natural of my friends still used conventional toothpaste and shampoo because they weren’t willing to sacrifice quality. There are natural options and ones that work, but find products that do both was almost impossible. We tackled the toughest first, creating the first and only natural toothpaste that is fluoride and glycerin free, and that has calcium and hydroxyapatite to uniquely support the mineral balance in the mouth. It also contains neem oil and green tea to support a healthy bacterial balance in the mouth and fight bad breath. Be the first to try it and our innovative natural hair care at wellnesse.com