While there’s plenty of things I like about getting older, it’s definitely a goal of mine to stay flexible, strong, and healthy as I age. This is how we’re approaching the topic of anti-aging today — not so much lines and wrinkles, but going deeper to how we can slow the aging process, fight inflammation, and have better quality of life overall.
My guest is Brian Dixon, a PhD in molecular and cellular biology from Oregon State University. He works with the Linus Pauling Institute where his research focused on the underlying biochemical and cellular mechanisms of aging. His work has been featured on The Dr. Oz Show, among others, and he’s authored a number of scientific peer-reviewed manuscripts on topics such as cancer, antioxidants, cellular signaling, gene regulation, stress-coping mechanisms, Nrf2, weight management, and sports nutrition and recovery.
If some of these terms are new to you (although they probably aren’t if you follow this podcast!), stay tuned and buckle up. This is a fascinating episode!
Episode Highlights With Brian Dixon
- Theories of aging: how to separate fact from myth and misinformation
- Why aging is in many ways just a symptom of cellular health
- The effect our diet can have on our genetic “map”
- What factors increase the rate of aging, and how we can mitigate them
- A cheap and easy way to increase our Nrf2 protein and anti-inflammatory intake
- The power of gene regulation: are our genes are destiny or can we influence the outcome?
- Powerful natural ways to support the immune system as well as mental and physical resilience as we age
- Antioxidants, supplements, and foods that help slow the aging process from the inside out
- The role of NAD and ATP in the body to support health and increase energy
- What Blue Zone areas of the world with the longest and healthiest lifespan do, and simple lifestyle lessons we can learn from them
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Linus Pauling Institute
- Book: Influencer: The Power to Change Anything
- Vitamin C
- Olive Oil
- Avocado Oil
More From Wellness Mama
- 307: Anti-Aging Skin Science From the Inside Out With Dr. Emilia Javorsky
- 241: Biohacking for Moms, Anti-Aging & Raising Amazing Kids With Ben Greenfield
- 245: Ari Whitten on Fighting Fatigue and Anxiety With Sauna, Hormesis, NRF2 & Sun Exposure
- 236: Facts vs. Myths About Blue Zones & Ways to Increase Longevity
- 209: Sun Protection and Anti-Aging From the Inside Out With Polypodium Leucotomos
- 168: A Proactive Approach to Aging and Sexual Health and Wellness With HealthWellnessMD
- 130: Biohacking for Moms & Reversing Aging with Bulletproof’s Dave Asprey
- How to Grow Broccoli Sprouts (& Why We All Should)
- Sulforaphane Benefits: How It Slows Aging, Fights Cancer & More
- 9 Lessons We Can All Learn From Blue Zones
What did you think of this episode? Do you have questions I can pass on? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic, a company I’ve loved for years for their superfood mushroom based products. They use mushrooms like lions mane, chaga, cordyceps and reishi in delicious products. Did you know that mushrooms are more genetically similar to humans than plants are? And that they breathe oxygen and exhale CO2 just like we do but mushrooms spores can survive the vacuum and radiation of space. These amazing fungi are always a part of my daily routine in some way, usually with Lion’s Mane Coffee or Matcha in the morning, Plant protein and mushroom elixirs like chaga and cordyceps during the day and reishi at night to wind down. As a listener of this podcast, you can save on all Four Sigmatic products. Go to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and the code wellnessmama gives 15% off.
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, a new company I co-founded to bring the best personal care products from my family to yours. Our whitening toothpaste is based on my DIY formula that I have been making and perfecting for over a decade. Now, after almost 100 rounds of tweaking the formula and thousands of positive reviews, I could not be more proud to share this with your family. Have you ever read a tube of normal toothpaste? I did when my older kids were little, and I found a warning that said, “Warning, keep away from children. Do not swallow. If ingested contact Poison Control or seek medical attention immediately.” That seemed a little extreme for something that I was putting in my mouth and my children’s mouth multiple times a day. And I didn’t want my kids using something that often that I would need to call a poison control center if they accidentally swallowed. I set out to create a truly safe and effective alternative. And the Wellnesse Whitening toothpaste is just that. It’s designed to support the oral microbiome and the natural process of saliva and teeth so that teeth can stay white and strong. This dentist approved formula is safe for the whole family and will leave your teeth shiny and your breath fresh. You can check out our toothpaste and our completely natural hair food hair care products at wellnesse.com. An insider tip, if you grab an essentials bundle or try autoship, you will lock in a discount so that you can try everything at a great price.