I’m here with Dr. Erik Korem, whose mission is to help people pursue audacious goals, thrive in uncertainty, and live a healthy and fulfilled life. He’s also an expert in sleep and stress resilience, and he’s the founder and CEO of AIM7, a wellness app that provides custom recommendations to improve workout programs results by assessing data in a completely new way. I’m excited to start using it.
In this episode, we go deep on a lot of things fitness-related like how women are just as strong as men, pound for pound, in the lower body, and why improving lean muscle mass reduces all-cause mortality and helps slow aging. We also talk about how to best train for power, speed, balance, and adaptability, and why the best athletes he’s ever trained were female sprinters.
I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I enjoyed recording it!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Erik Korem
- How we don’t address power and speed as we age and how this ages us faster
- Why there’s no such thing as muscle memory but what it actually is
- What high threshold motor units are and how to recruit more motor units
- How to easily incorporate these elements with things like intervals of medicine ball throws
- Some basic steps for implementing power, speed, balance, and stability with maximum orthopedic soundness (in other words, getting amazing results with less than you think you need)
- The one piece of advice he would give everyone
- Why women are just as strong as men pound for pound in the lower body
- The reason the best women he’s ever trained were female sprinters
- Why improving lean muscle mass reduces all-cause mortality and avoids aging
- What RPE scale is and how it can be helpful
- How adaptability comes into play for optimizing performance
- What allostasis is and allostatic load (the cost of adaptation)
- The five things people should be addressing to be more adaptable are: sleep, exercise, nutrition, mental resilience, and relationships with community
- How to get and stay in a state of adaptability
- What DC potential of the brain is
- How to cultivate resilience
- Ways to know what exercise dose is appropriate for you on any given day
- What a fluid plan for health looks like and how to read your data to know what to do
- How to combine objective data and subjective feeling to create a great plan
- The way he lowered the injury rate in his athletes by 88% and pioneered wearable technology
- Myths about HRV and what to know about it
- The most important things you can do for sleep
- One simple and free thing you can do that reliably reduces the risk of depression by 23%
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Erik Korem
- Erik’s podcast
- His AIM7 app
- The Bible
- Insanely Simple: The Obsession that Drives Apple’s Success by Ken Segall
- A Pearl in the Storm: How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean by Tori Murden McClure
More From Wellness Mama
- 058: Dr. Michael Breus on Improving Sleep Through Chronotypes
- 089: Shawn Stevenson on Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet & Exercise
- 190: Harpreet Rai on Tracking HRV, Sleep, & Movement with Oura Ring
- 426: Everything You Need to Know About Sleep and Melatonin With Lisa Shank
- 224: Dan Clark on Using Sound & Music to Optimize Focus and Sleep
- 380: How to Use CARs: My Secret for Mobility and Strength (+ HRV, FRC & Kinstretch) With Hunter Cook
- 270: Tara Youngblood on Better Sleep With ChiliPad
- 147: Dr. Deborah Rozman on HeartMath & Reducing Stress Through HRV
- 093: Meredith Vieceli on Avoiding Common Fitness Mistakes
- Strength Training for Women
- Tips to Naturally Reduce Stress… Starting Now!
- My Favorite Health Apps for Mind, Body and Hormones
- How to Create a Perfect Sleep Environment
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Paleovalley. You might have heard me talk about them before because my family really loves their products, especially their beef sticks, but another one we use daily this time of year is their Essential C. Vitamin C is well known for its ability to support a strong immune system and They use 3 of the most potent, vitamin C rich superfoods on the planet: The Amla Berry, The Camu Camu Berry, and the Acerola Cherry – for 450 mg of natural, whole food sourced vitamin C per serving. Nothing synthetic. No harsh chemicals. Just food. And this is important because food doesn’t have the nutrient density it once did. In fact, because of the damage done to our topsoil from overharvesting and aggressive agricultural methods, the soil is less nutrient dense and therefore the food that grows in that soil is less nutrient dense. One study found you’d have to eat 8 oranges today to get the nutrients our grandparents would’ve gotten from one orange when they were young. And, humans are one of the only mammals that don’t make our own vitamin C, meaning it’s vital we get it from our diet. Studies have shown that Vitamin C can benefit mental health, sleep quality and of course immunity. And can also lower the stress hormone cortisol in the body. Check out this Essential C supplement and all of their products at paleovalley.com/mama and use code mama15 at checkout for 15% off your order!
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, that’s wellness with an E on the end. The brand I co-founded when I realized there just weren’t truly natural alternatives to some personal care products that performed as well as many conventional brands. We’ve been sharing our popular toothpaste and haircare for almost two years, but today I’m excited to tell you about a new star in our lineup. The charcoal toothpaste that provides the same mineral-rich benefits as our original whitening formula with a boost of charcoal for extra whitening and mouth-supporting benefits. It’s made without glycerin using oral microbiome-friendly ingredients to help your body create stronger, healthier, whiter teeth while you sleep. I love to use charcoal and whitening toothpaste on alternating days to keep my teeth looking and feeling their best. You can check out our toothpaste and all of our products at wellnesse.com.