All of my years of health research have led me to one conclusion: there’s no one-size-fits-all prescription for good health. Each of us needs a personalized approach when it comes diet and the vitamins and minerals we need. The trouble is, how do we figure this out so we can act on it?
Today I’m here with Chris Masterjohn, a PhD in Nutritional Sciences from the University of Connecticut, to talk about just that. I knew I had to share him with all of you when we were paired up at the same table at an event and geeked out about pantothenic acid, and kinase, and genes, and a lot of other fun topics. He spends his time researching and producing some of the highest quality nutritional information out there, all in a way that’s easy to understand and absolutely fascinating.
Definitely check out his Nutrition 101 course below as well as his “Ultimate Cheat Sheet” for testing nutritional status. Both will help you decode exactly what your body needs from a nutritional standpoint.
Episode Highlights With Chris Masterjohn
- One small change that may fix hormonal acne and teenage acne
- The surprising thing you probably don’t know about calcium that may be hurting you
- A few universal nutrition principles that apply to all of us
- The baseline things you need to know to start personalizing your diet and lifestyle
- How much protein we actually need and from what sources
- The reason processed foods are bad for your parathyroid
- How B5, cholesterol, and sex hormones play together and why you may need more B5 for this reason
- How to naturally increase NAD levels and why you’d want to
- A major thing to watch out for with niacin supplementation
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Vitamins and Minerals 101 Course
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet (nutritional testing program – get 20% off through this link)
More From Wellness Mama
- 172: How to Understand Your Genes to Personalize Your Diet With Nutrition Genome
- 185: How to Get Lab Tests at Home & Take Charge of Your Own Health With EverlyWell
- 194: Longevity, Autoimmunity, & Plant-Based Diets With Nora Gedgaudas
- 183: Is Fluoride the Hidden Cause of Acne? (& What to Do About It)
- 16: Functional Diagnostic Nutrition
- 60: Deep Nutrition and the Four Pillars of Health
- How to Implement Nutrition Changes
- Lab Tests You Can Order From Home (Without A Doctor)
- The Problem with Calcium Supplements
- Natural Remedies for Acne
- Is a Plant-Based Diet Good for All of Us?
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have about nutrition? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Fabletics and their affordable, cute and versatile athletic wear. Founded by Kate Hudson, this brand has hundreds of original and cute styles of athletic wear. Fabletics is also revolutionizing the athletic wear industry by helping women find gear that fits perfectly. Here’s how it works… After taking a super quick, 60 second style quiz, you’ll receive a personalized showroom of pieces specifically catered towards your own unique style and body type. This takes the guesswork out of what styles are best suitable for you! Before I forget, Fabletics is offering my listeners an incredible deal you don’t want to miss: Get 2 leggings for only $24 ($99 value) when you sign up for a VIP. Just go to fabletics.com/wellnessmama to take advantage of this deal now. Also free shipping on orders over $49. International shipping is available and there is absolutely no commitment when you purchase your first order!
This episode is brought to you by Genexa – a line of cleaner, healthier and safer medicines that are organic, non-GMO and free of all common allergens. Their full line of homeopathic and over-the-counter formulas help with everything from sleep to stress, leg cramps to sore muscles, allergies to colds and everything in between. Plus they taste great so it’s not a fight to get kids to take and they support the body in staying healthy while offering relief when symptoms hit. To shop their full line of organic and non-GMO medicines, go to Genexa.com/Wellnessmama and use code WELLNESS for 20% off your order.