Today, I’m here with Kevin Ellis, who’s known as the Bone Coach. He’s a certified integrative nutrition coach, podcaster, YouTuber, and bone health advocate. His story began with a diagnosis of osteoporosis in his early 30s. He’s not only transformed his own health but he’s dedicated his life to helping others with the same problem.
We talk in-depth about different facets of his work, such as the difference between osteopenia and osteoporosis, how to know if you’re at risk, and the top ways to help our kids reach peak bone mass around age 30. Our conversation also covers how things like fluoride and environmental chemicals can affect bone health and the actual nutrients you need for your bones (hint: it goes far beyond just calcium and vitamin D).
Even if you don’t think this is an issue for you now, there’s a lot of great preventative advice in this episode.
Episode Highlights With Kevin Ellis
- How he got a shocking diagnosis of osteoporosis at only 31 years old
- The research he did to find his own path to health
- Difference between osteopenia and osteoporosis
- Why to get a baseline DEXA scan earlier than recommended
- How to know if you’re at risk for these issues
- The tests to determine the reason for bone loss and how to know which one to get
- Top things we can do to help our kids reach optimal bone mass development
- Another reason to avoid excess sugar exposure and why organic matters
- How exposure to household chemicals can damage bones
- The way fluoride can affect bone health
- Why calcium and vitamin D aren’t the only important nutrients for bone health
- Importance of magnesium and vitamin K2
- The importance of gut health and ways a damaged gut can impact your bones
- Universally beneficial foods for bone health (and overall health) and yes, sardines are on the list again
- Why arugula is better than spinach and other leafy greens for bones
- The reason vitamin C is important too
- Two important types of exercise for bone health: muscle pulling bone and impact
- Tips for how to build bone strength back up
- Top tests to monitor bone health
- The real deal about caffeine and bone health
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Bone Coach website and podcast
- Stronger Bones Now eBook (Simple 3-Step Process To Stronger Bones)
- Vital Choice
- Just Thrive K2-7 and Probiotic
More From Wellness Mama
- 034: All About Topical Magnesium
- 431: How to Use Whole Body Vibration for Strength, Bone Health and Fat Loss With Power Plate
- 117: Debra Atkinson on Fitness at Any Age
- 256: Chris Masterjohn on Decoding What Your Body Really Needs
- Top 10 Signs & Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
- Are You Low on Magnesium?
- Vitamin K2: 9 Uses and Benefits
- Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?
- 8 Benefits of Sardines (& How to Make Them Taste Great)
- How to Get Enough Calcium Without Dairy
- Guide to Healthy Protein Sources
- Strength Training for Women
- Easy At Home Workouts for Moms
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Discussion (1 Comments)
This was a great interview. I listened to it twice and took lots of notes that I ACTUALLY plan in implementing such as weight lifting, sprints, arugula, sardines, and coconut oil.
Your podcasts have helped me become healthier in many ways. You are a talented interviewer. Thank you.