If you’ve ever wondered if your efforts to make a more natural home environment are worth it, this episode should convince you! Marilee Nelson is an expert on chemical sensitivity and the founder of The House Doctors, a consulting firm dedicated to cleaner, more natural homes.
Due to her long struggle to heal own son’s chemical sensitivities, Marilee sees it as her personal mission to get the word out about the common household materials and foods that may be poisoning our health. She even co-founded a natural line of cleaners I use and love called Branch Basics.
On top of all that, Marilee is a medicinal cook, a board-certified nutritionist, a certified Bau-Biologist and Inspector (which is a building biologist), and a building materials specialist for healthy homes. She has spent nearly 30 years as a Dietary and Environmental Consultant for clients across the country who are chemically-sensitive or chronically ill… not to mention those who are just plain smart and want to have a natural home!
Episode Highlights With Branch Basics
- How Marilee’s own health struggles started her search
- The gripping story of her son’s recovery after a severe chemical overexposure, and what it took to heal him
- Some hidden elements in your home that may be causing major health and behavioral problems
- Cases when conventional products may be better than “green” materials
- The surprising reasons you might want to avoid low- and no-VOC paint (hint: SVOC)
- Why to throw away your CFL bulbs
- The lingering effects of pesticides even inside the home
- Simple steps to purify the air in your home and reduce chemical exposures
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Branch Basics
- Air Doctor air filter
- EMF Sleep Switch
- Smart plug with remote
- Volt meter
- EMF shields I use
- Homebiotic (prevents mold naturally)
- Advanced Chemical Sensors (ask for the 40-hour aldehyde test)
- Durisol concrete forms
- ECOS paints
- EnviroSafe paint
- Great HEPA vacuum
More From Wellness Mama
- The Wellness Mama 5-Step Lifestyle Detox
- 198: How to Be Green Enough & Avoid the Worst Offenders in Your Home With Leah Segedie
- 135: Understanding Genetic Testing, Epigenetics, and Genetic Polymorphisms With Dr. Ben Lynch
- 175: When Natural Doesn’t Mean Safe & Creating Non-Toxic Homes With Green Design Center
- Organic Pest Control for Gardens (Natural Options)
- Diatomaceous Earth: 10 Amazing Uses for DE Around the Home
- The Dangers of Plastic
- Why I DON’T Use Antibacterial Soap
- Why We Don’t Use a Microwave
The average person is exposed to between 134 and 200 chemicals… before they even leave their homes in the morning!
Sometimes we have something that happens to us that has the capacity to wake us up to important truths that are maybe hidden, misunderstood, or not well understood.
Our natural healing process has been hijacked by the established norms of the day.
Have you or a loved one ever struggled with chemical sensitivity? What did you do? I’d also really appreciate if you took two minutes to leave me a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors!
This podcast is brought to you by SteadyMD. I’ve been using this company for the past year and I love them. Here’s how it works. Instead of having a primary doctor that you have to make an appointment to see, wait for hours in the office to visit, you can now have your doctor available whatever you need him or her through your phone. SteadyMD has a staff of doctors who are available via call, text or video chat whenever you need them, so they respond quickly and they already know your medical history. You get paired with a single doctor so you can work with them as a long-term partner for your health. They’re well versed in lab testing, preventative health, and functional medicine and they’re great for those random obscure off-hours medical questions so you don’t have to run to urgent care. You can check them out and see if they are right for you by visiting SteadyMD.com/wellnessmama. They do have limited spots available, so I’d check them out quickly if you’re interested.
This episode is brought to you by Crunchy Betty. It’s summer and where I am it is super hot and humid. I’ve always made my own deodorant and I still think that’s an amazing option. It works well, but lately, I’ve been so busy that I’ve been turning to a pre-made natural deodorant, and I am loving it. It’s called Kokomo Cream and it smells like a tropical vacation. Think coconut and lime in paradise and it works incredibly well. My husband uses it too, we both love the scent and we love how fresh we stay all day. My favorite part, it’s from a small family business and you could only find it right now on Etsy. So, you can find it by going to etsy.com/shop/crunchybetty.