A look at the recipes on my blog shows that I consider meat to be an important part of a healthy diet. I realize this stance can be highly controversial given the poor diet, environment, and climate impact of commercial meat-raising practices. This is why I asked Anya Fernald — a leader in the high quality, organic, and premium food market — to talk to us today about a different (and better) way to approach this issue.
Anya Fernald is the co-founder and CEO of Belcampo, which raises livestock on 27,000 acres of organic farmland in California. They follow regenerative farming practices that have the ability to revolutionize the entire industry into climate-positive operations.
As one of Inc Magazine’s 100 Female Founders, one of the 40 under 40 by Food & Wine, and a regular judge on Iron Chef America since 2009, Anya is just a fascinating person to talk to about food and the food industry in general. I can’t wait to dive in!
Episode Highlights With Anya Fernald
- How the environment of livestock and poultry is being manipulated to encourage rapid obesity
- The health repercussions of eating meat raised in this way
- Similarities between animal and human microbiomes
- Which labels you can trust when buying meat… and which ones mean nothing
- What studies say about meat-eating mothers vs. vegetarians
- The role of essential amino and fatty acids in the body (and yes, we get them from meat)
- The key component you might be missing from your meat-eating diet
- How conventional meat farming impacts the environment (hint: it’s not good)
- A better way to raise meat that is third-party tested to be carbon impact positive
- Why a regenerative farming revolution may be the key to raising quality meat and a healthier planet
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Belcampo Meat Co
- Bone Broth
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee
- Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, and Money by Erik Marcus
- The River Cottage Meat Book
More From Wellness Mama
- 222: Why ButcherBox Is Bringing Back Grass-Fed Meat With Mike Salguero
- 310: Can Our Soils Heal Us? How Regenerative Agriculture and Home Gardens Can Improve Our Health
- 205: Everything You Need to Know About GMOs, Glyphosate, and Gut Health With Dr. Zach Bush
- 236: Facts vs. Myths About Blue Zones & Ways to Increase Longevity
- Are Organ Meats Healthy?
- Health Benefits of Grass-Fed Beef
- Grass-Fed Meat vs. Grain-Fed Meat
- Is a Plant-Based Diet Good for All of Us?
How do you feel about eating meat? Any tips on finding a good source? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by BLUblox. They create stylish and effective blue light blocking glasses for any time of day. Their BluLite lens is a clear lens designed for people who work under artificial light during the day, but they don’t want to look like they are wearing orange glasses. This one is designed to target the light that created digital eyestrain, migraines, headaches and more. Their SummerGlo lens steps it up a notch for those who are exposed to intense artificial light all day and who suffer from migraines, anxiety, depression and SAD by blocking the light that contributes to those conditions. For better sleep, their Sleep lens is a complete blue and green light blocking full red lens that is ideal for use after dark. When the sun goes down, the red glasses go on. The studies show that by blocking blue light, you can increase your melatonin production and improve sleep. And lastly, if you can’t create a perfectly dark sleep environment, their REMedy blackout sleep mask is the next best thing, blocking 100% of light while staying comfortable and is easy to sleep in! Code wellnessmama gives 15% off at blublox.com/wellnessmama
This podcast is brought to you by Gaia herbs and their black elderberry syrup! I’ve been a big fan of Elderberry syrup for years and theirs is the best premade one I’ve found unless you want to make your own. You can experience for yourself why it is America’s Favorite Organic Black Elderberry Syrup! It is the #1 best-selling organic Black Elderberry syrup in the U.S. This time of year, it is a medicine cabinet staple and immune season essential. Elderberry will help your family stay feeling well with the delicious immune elixir loved by adults and children alike. It is Certified organic – this powerful syrup concentrates the juice from 14.5 grams of elderberries in a single teaspoon, so it’s highly potent. It is made with just four clean whole-food ingredients and is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and soy-free, making it safe for most people. Black Elderberry Syrup is safe for the whole family and is formulated for adults and children age 1 and older. You can save big on Gaia Herbs by going to gaiaherbs.com/wellnessmama and use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout for 20% off your first purchase