Dr. Mark Hyman hardly needs introduction, but just in case, he’s an internationally recognized speaker, 13-time New York Times bestselling author, and renowned physician in the field of functional medicine. Dr. Hyman is here talking about his newest book The Pegan Diet: 21 Practical Principles for Reclaiming Your Health in a Nutritionally Confusing World, a paleo-vegan book that promises to end the dietary wars once and for all!
Dr. Hyman delves into the roots of functional medicine today, and why a nutritious diet isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach. Take notes on this one… it is jam-packed with advice you won’t want to miss!
Episode Highlights: The Pegan Diet With Mark Hyman MD
- What paleo and vegan diets have in common
- How Dr. Hyman’s views on food have changed over the years, and why
- The role of phytochemicals (and why you can’t always get enough from food alone)
- What happens to our immune systems as they age
- Why insulin resistance is the most common condition affecting Americans right now
- How to eat if you want to protect the planet
- The new label to look for on food (regenerative organic)
- Success stories from his practice
- Food rules we can all agree on (and end the diet wars)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Mark Hyman
- Dr. Hyman blog post: Why I Am a Pegan (Paleo-Vegan)
- The Pegan Diet
- 21 Lessons for the 21st Century
- Other Mark Hyman books
More From Wellness Mama
- 335: How the Food Industry Preys on Children & How to Fix It (With Dr. Mark Hyman)
- 160: What the Heck Should I Actually Eat? With Dr. Mark Hyman
- 416: Q&A: Supplements, EMFs, Protein Snacks, First Principles, and More
- 405: Eat Smarter: How to Use Food to Reboot Your Metabolism With Shawn Stevenson
- 402: How to Use Glucose as a Continuous Health Marker for Metabolic Health With Dr. Casey Means of Levels
- 414: Ancestral Parenting, Biological Norms, Wild Food, and Foraging With Arthur Haines
- What I Learned From Wearing a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) for a Month
- Is Organic Food Worth The Price? What the Label Really Means
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Olipop, delicious soda that is actually good for you. Did you know that most Americans consume more than the recommended daily intake of sugar, by a lot? And sweetened drinks like soda are the leading source of extra sugar? And most of us also don’t get enough fiber! I’ve found a delicious answer to both of these problems and it’s called Olipop. I was so excited to find a truly healthy soda alternative! Olipop uses functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health… and that taste just like soda without the junk! Olipop is much (much) lower in sugar than conventional sodas with only 2-5 grams of sugar from natural sources. No added sugar. Their Vintage Cola has just two grams of sugar as compared to a regular cola which has 39g of sugar. We’ve worked out an exclusive deal for the Wellness Mama podcast listeners. Receive 20% off plus Free Shipping on their best selling variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors and find your favorite. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. This discount is only valid for their variety pack. Olipop can also be found in over 3,000 stores across the country, including Whole Foods, Sprouts, Kroger, Wegman’s and Erewhon.
This episode is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. They’re a company on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean, effective products that really, really work. They’ve created a whole hive of products, all sourced from bee products and immune-loving essentials so that you can do your best all day every day. One of their products I especially love is called B.Chill. And it’s a CBD infused honey that I love and that my kids love, and it helps them sleep. It’s the ultimate combination of raw honey and hemp to help you get better R&R. And hemp is famous for its ability to help you unwind while raw honey supports restorative sleep. As an extra tip, a small sprinkle of salt on this honey really, really helps improve sleep. And unlike other relaxation alternatives, you can rest better knowing that there are no some side effects, you won’t feel groggy the next day. And B.Chill is completely non-psychoactive. It contains 0% THC, so you can enjoy it anytime, anywhere, and share it with your kids. If you’re ready to give it a try, check out Beekeeper’s Naturals and save 15% on your first order by going to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama.