Today on the podcast we’re talking all about regenerative agriculture, what it is, and how to apply it to a home garden. By using these principles that rebuild and nourish the soil, you can grow nutrient-dense food for your family inexpensively and without a lot of time and effort.
Leah Webb has worked in nutrition and gardening since 2009. She lives in the mountains of North Carolina with her husband and two children, and they are the reason she got started in homesteading, gardening, and cooking from scratch. Her diet and homegrown organic foods are part of her integrative approach to caring for her children, who suffer from food allergies and cystic fibrosis.
Also check out Leah’s grain-free, sugar-free, dairy-free family cookbook which is a comprehensive guide for families interested in gracefully implementing a whole foods diet.
Episode Highlights With Leah Webb
- The health struggles that brought Leah to the realization she needed to grow her own food
- How she learned the ropes of homesteading and gardening
- What’s been happening to our soil on a large scale, and how it’s affecting our food
- Nutritional differences between grain-fed and pastured/grass-fed animal products
- The 5 principles of regenerative farming (and how to apply them to a home garden)
- An easy way to dramatically reduce weeds
- How to grow a low-maintenance garden with maximum produce for minimum time
- Tips for improving soil quality through composting, cover crops, and more
- Whether eating meat hurts the environment
- Reasons to try gardening for yourself and tips for beginners
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Facebook: Leah M. Webb
- Instagram: @leah_m_webb
- Website: LeahMWebb.com
- The Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free Family Cookbook by Leah Webb
- Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reduce Global Warming by Paul Hawken
- Butcher Box meats
- Misfits produce
- Biochar Soil Builder
More From Wellness Mama
- How to Create the Best Garden Soil
- It’s Time to Bring Back Victory Gardens
- Organic Gardening 101: How to Start Your Own Backyard Garden
- Why Do Gardeners Live Longer?
- Backyard Farming: How to Homestead in the City
- Grass fed Meat vs. Grain fed Meat
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic, my source for superfood mushrooms. They make delicious mushroom infused coffees, teas and elixirs that I use daily. From their lower caffeine coffee and coffee packets infused with lions mane that I drink in the morning, to chaga and cordyceps for focus while I work and Reishi to wind down at night… these products are a regular part of my routine. Here’s a tip… I’ve found that for deep sleep, a packet of reishi with a splash of macadamia milk and a tiny sprinkle of salt and a drop of stevia helps me get more deep sleep and I’ve seen this consistently and measurably in my sleep tracking. As a listener of this podcast, you can save 15% by going to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and using the code “wellnessmama”
This podcast is brought to you by Radiant Life Catalog. Radiant Life is a woman-owned, family-run online health and wellness company specializing in food-based supplements, nutrient dense foods, eco-friendly housewares and water filtration and purification. After spending over 20 years in the health industry, Radiant Life realized that one of the overlooked components of wellbeing is access to clean, healthy and hydrating water. Now , they have a range of filters that fix this for every type of house and budget from counter top to under counter and even whole house like the one we have. Their systems are crafted with a health and wellness focus. They improve the taste and smell of water but, more importantly, they remove a wide range of potentially harmful contaminants. They also have and in-house water expert is available all the time to guide you through the system selection process and answer all of your questions via phone or email. Their systems are also designed and built in the USA and really high quality. Go to radiantlifecatalog.com/wellnessmama and get $200 off a Whole House or 14-Stage Water System with the code WMPODCAST.