A look at the recipes on my blog shows that I consider meat to be an important part of a healthy diet. I realize this stance can be highly controversial given the poor diet, environment, and climate impact of commercial meat-raising practices. This is why I asked Anya Fernald — a leader in the high quality, organic, and premium food market — to talk to us today about a different (and better) way to approach this issue.
Anya Fernald is the co-founder and CEO of Belcampo, which raises livestock on 27,000 acres of organic farmland in California. They follow regenerative farming practices that have the ability to revolutionize the entire industry into climate-positive operations.
As one of Inc Magazine’s 100 Female Founders, one of the 40 under 40 by Food & Wine, and a regular judge on Iron Chef America since 2009, Anya is just a fascinating person to talk to about food and the food industry in general. I can’t wait to dive in!
Episode Highlights With Anya Fernald
- How the environment of livestock and poultry is being manipulated to encourage rapid obesity
- The health repercussions of eating meat raised in this way
- Similarities between animal and human microbiomes
- Which labels you can trust when buying meat… and which ones mean nothing
- What studies say about meat-eating mothers vs. vegetarians
- The role of essential amino and fatty acids in the body (and yes, we get them from meat)
- The key component you might be missing from your meat-eating diet
- How conventional meat farming impacts the environment (hint: it’s not good)
- A better way to raise meat that is third-party tested to be carbon impact positive
- Why a regenerative farming revolution may be the key to raising quality meat and a healthier planet
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Bone Broth
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee
- Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, and Money by Erik Marcus
- The River Cottage Meat Book
- The Meat Racket: The Secret Takeover of America’s Food Business by Christopher Leonard
More From Wellness Mama
- 222: Why ButcherBox Is Bringing Back Grass-Fed Meat With Mike Salguero
- 310: Can Our Soils Heal Us? How Regenerative Agriculture and Home Gardens Can Improve Our Health
- 205: Everything You Need to Know About GMOs, Glyphosate, and Gut Health With Dr. Zach Bush
- 236: Facts vs. Myths About Blue Zones & Ways to Increase Longevity
- 420: Is The Pegan Diet the Answer to the Diet Wars With Dr. Mark Hyman
- Are Organ Meats Healthy?
- Health Benefits of Grass-Fed Beef
- Grass-Fed Meat vs. Grain-Fed Meat
- Is a Plant-Based Diet Good for All of Us?
How do you feel about eating meat? Any tips on finding a good source? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.