Today’s topic is a personal one for me as Julie Michelson and I talk about recovering from autoimmune disease and why we shouldn’t let a diagnosis define our lives. Julie is a national board-certified functional medicine coach, bestselling author, speaker, and host of the Inspired Living with Autoimmunity podcast. She’s also the founder of her coaching program and co-founder of Navigate Wellness.
Julie shares her inspiring story of how she healed from a years-long battle with autoimmune disease and how she helps others do the same. A lot of it has to do with minimizing and limiting our toxin exposure, whether that’s from toxic personal care products or toxic thought patterns. We also talk about what Julie calls the inflammation spectrum and what we can do long before autoimmune disease manifests.
She also goes into the micronutrients we need for healing and how to create a haven in our home and nurture resilience. We also talk about the importance of sleep and how it helps our bodies (and especially our brains) detox. And Julie also shares how our bodies hear our thoughts and take them as truth, even if we don’t believe them.
So please join me as Julie and I delve into a chat on autoimmunity!
Episode Highlights With Julie
- How she found the love of her life in her fifties
- Her own story with autoimmunity that led her to the work she does now
- What the inflammation spectrum is and how to address chronic inflammation
- The biggest drivers in inflammation and autoimmune disease
- How toxins contribute to inflammation and autoimmunity
- Why we need 6-9 cups of vegetables a day for micronutrients
- How to create a haven in our home and nurture resilience for other experiences and exposures
- Why autoimmunity affects women proportionately more than men
- Many people who show up to her for help are perfectionists and how this influences health
- How our bodies and especially our brains detox during sleep and how to support this
- Her tricks for sleep health
- Our bodies hear our thoughts and take them as truth
- How to shift mindset to shift your health
- Create a positive healing statement
Resources We Mention
- Detox Jumpstart 30-day program
- Julie Michelson – Website
- The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey
More From Wellness Mama
- 647: How to Get the Best Sleep Ever (From Someone Who Spent $45K on Sleep) With Matt Gallant
- 551: Mollie McGlocklin on Sleep Is a Skill + Chronobiology and Circadian Rhythm
- 515: Dr. Michael J. Breus on How to Energize by Understanding Chronotypes, Sleep, Fasting, and Movement
- 089: Shawn Stevenson on Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet & Exercise
- 510: Maggie Berghoff on Practical Tips for Reducing Inflammation
- 6 Natural Sleep Remedies (You May Not Have Tried)
- The Dangers of Plastic