I’m talking with Dr. Inna Lozinskaya today about women’s changing hormones as we enter the mid-life phase and beyond. Dr. Inna is an award-winning speaker, author, and mentor, and the founder of the Midlife Wellness Institute. She’s practiced medicine for 26 years and shifted from conventional medicine to a broader focus on functional medicine.
Dr. Inna and I go deep on the topic of women’s hormones and how they shift and change as we age. She shares how progesterone helps naturally relieve anxiety and gets into our understanding of progesterone, testosterone, and other hormones in all the different stages of our cycles. Plus we talk about how these phases of perimenopause and menopause can affect the adrenals and our hormones.
She also covers why we need more protein the older we get, the best fat sources for healthy hormone function, and how to break the stress cycle and replenish our hormones. Dr. Inna explains the role our livers play with hormones and how to keep them functioning at their best. We also touch on the ins and outs of hormone replacement therapy, when it’s a good idea (when it’s not), and why some women feel better or worse with this therapy.
Dr. Inna is such a wealth of knowledge and I’m excited to share this episode with you!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Inna
- The fun life turn that happened when she decided to learn English as an adult
- How hormones shift at different phases of life for women
- The first hormone to drop in perimenopause
- Progesterone is a natural anti-anxiety hormone
- Understanding progesterone, testosterone, and estrogen for women in perimenopause and menopause
- How perimenopause and menopause can affect the adrenals
- Nutrition is 80% of success for hormone health at every phase
- Why we need more protein as we age
- Best sources of fat for hormone health
- Hormones are activated or deactivated in the liver and how to keep the liver healthy
- How to break the stress cycle to replenish hormones
- There is no relaxation in the body without magnesium being available
- When to test hormones and what to look for in the results
- Why some women feel better on hormone replacement but some feel worse
Resources We Mention
- Midlife Wellness Institute – Website
- Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom by Christiane Northrup M.D.
- The Sexy Years: Discover the Hormone Connection–The Secret to Fabulous Sex, Great Health, and Vitality, for Women and Men by Suzanne Somers
More From Wellness Mama
- 604: Dr. Michelle Sands on Myths and Truths About Hormone Replacement Therapy
- 555: Cynthia Thurlow on Biohacking Your Hormones and Sleep for Women
- 647: How to Get the Best Sleep Ever (From Someone Who Spent $45K on Sleep) With Matt Gallant
- 551: Mollie McGlocklin on Sleep Is a Skill + Chronobiology and Circadian Rhythm
- The Importance of Balancing Stress Hormones