Cynthia Thurlow is back to talk biohacking your hormones and your sleep, especially for women. And we get to go deep on some pretty fun science topics on this one. If you don’t remember her from the first episode, Cynthia is a nurse practitioner and the CEO and founder of Everyday Wellness project. She’s an international speaker with over 9.6 million views on her second TED Talk about intermittent fasting. She has over 20 years’ experience in her field, and she’s a globally recognized expert on health topics.
She developed her intermittent fasting plan after entering her 40’s and experiencing a health breakdown. It didn’t just help her lose weight, but gave her more energy, fewer cravings, and improved her blood glucose. She’s now worked with thousands of women in her private practice on many of the topics we talk about today. We go deep on why women are not getting enough protein, what happens when we under-eat protein, and the reason we need to get 40 to 50 grams per meal as women.
We also talk about reasons to avoid vegetable and seed oils, how we can eat, sleep, and train with our hormones and how hormone changes affect what we can do in these areas. She shares why sleep is the ultimate biohack, the reasons muscle mass is so important beyond just how it looks and the benefits of heat and cold. There’s a lot of good information in this episode!
Episode Highlights With Cynthia Thurlow
- Why many women are not getting enough protein… and sometimes drastically under-eating it
- What happens when we under-eat protein and how this can lead to muscle loss and weight gain
- The reason to eat 40-50 grams of protein per meal as a woman
- More reasons to avoid vegetable and seed oils at all costs
- How we can eat, train and sleep with our hormones and how hormone changes affect what we can do in these areas
- When estrogen is a superpower
- How hormone imbalances can affect training, food cravings and what to do about it
- Why sleep is the ultimate biohack
- The reasons muscle mass is so important and how to maintain it
- Benefits of heat and cold for women
- What deuterium depleted water is and what to understand about deuterium
Resources We Mention
- Cynthia Thurlow
- Creatrix Sauna
- Joovv Red Light
- Cold Plunge (use code wellnessmama for $150 off)
- The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O’Brien
- Breath by James Nestor
- The XX Brain: The Groundbreaking Science Empowering Women to Prevent Dementia by Dr. Lisa Mosconi
More From Wellness Mama
- 371: How Eating More Protein Will Transform Your Metabolism With Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
- 352: How Protein Improves Metabolism and Health With Billy Bosch From Iconic Protein
- 551: Mollie McGlocklin on Sleep Is a Skill + Chronobiology and Circadian Rhythm
- 398: Sauna Use to Increase Lifespan, Improve Thyroid, Detox Safely, and More With Sauna Fix
- 217: Do Saunas Work? Understanding the Benefits With Sunlighten Founder Connie Zack
- Why Plastic Pollution Is Everyone’s Problem
- Plastic in the Ocean: How We Can All Reduce Single-Use Plastics
- How to Reduce Plastic Use in the Home
- The Dangers of Plastic
- Why You Should Never Eat Vegetable Oil or Margarine
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Hiya Health… a new type of childrens vitamins. Typical children’s vitamins are basically candy in disguise — filled with two teaspoons of sugar, unhealthy chemicals, and other gummy junk growing kids should never eat. Hiya is made with zero sugar and zero gummy junk, yet it tastes great and is perfect for picky eaters. Hiya fills in the most common gaps in modern children’s diets to provide the full-body nourishment our kids need with a yummy taste they love. Manufactured in the USA with globally sourced ingredients each selected for optimal bioavailability and absorption. Hiya arrives straight to your door on a pediatrician-recommended schedule. Your first month comes with a reusable glass bottle your kids can personalize with stickers, then every month thereafter Hiya sends a no-plastic refill pouch of fresh vitamins — which means Hiya isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment. To check them out, go to hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama and save on your first month at this link!
This episode is sponsored by BetterHelp, a company making private professional therapy affordable and available anywhere. In the last few years, I’ve realized first hand just how important it is to address the inner/emotional side of health, and Better Help is making this easier than it’s ever been my matching you with your own professional licensed therapist uniquely suited to help your specific needs. It’s not a crisis line or self help, but professional counseling done securely online. It’s more affordable than traditional counseling with financial aid available as well, and since its online, you can connect with your counselor anytime without sitting in a waiting room or having to drive to an office. They have professional counselors who specialize in depression, anxiety, trauma, sleep, relationships, anger, grief, family conflicts and more and it’s available worldwide. As a listener, you’ll get 10% off your first month by visiting our sponsor at BetterHelp.com/wellnessmama. Join over 1 million people who have taken charge of their mental health.