I’m talking with Dr. Michelle Sands today and we’re doing a deep dive into the topic of hormone health. Especially as it relates to perimenopause and menopause. Dr. Sands is a double board certified naturopathic physician and international best-selling author. She’s also the co-founder of Glow Natural Wellness and the Healthy Hormone Club.
Michelle is a walking encyclopedia of hormone health knowledge and I’m excited to talk all about it with her! She mentions that over 80% of doctors don’t have any training on hormone decline due to menopause and using hormone replacement therapy. Past studies caused even more confusion and pointed the finger at estrogen. When actually we know estrogen helps protect against breast cancer and heart disease.
We cover how natural hormone replacement is very safe and can be very beneficial to certain women. Plus how to go about testing to make sure you’re on the right track. I learned so much in this episode and I’m sure you will too!
Episode Highlights With Michelle Sands
- The different types of hormone replacement available and which are appropriate for most people
- Why hormone levels are shifting earlier for women and men and how to navigate it
- How to navigate natural hormone decline with age
- What makes bioidentical hormone replacement different and why dose matters
- Where bioidentical hormones come from
- The surprising practice in China years ago that was the first use of bioidentical hormones
- Why hormone replacement therapy doesn’t raise cancer risk if done correctly and how it can actually be protective
- The real story about estrogen and cancer
- New information on hormones from a women’s health initiative in 2019
- How loss of hormones contributes to osteoporosis, heart issues, and brain decline
- The reason hormones shouldn’t just be used to treat symptoms and why waiting until menopause isn’t necessarily the best
- How hormone loss correlates to collagen loss and decline in skin health
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Michelle Sands – Glow Natural Wellness
- Free Hormone Restoration Masterclass
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Estrogen Matters by Avrum Bluming
More From Wellness Mama
- 602: Esther Blum on See Ya Later, Ovulator – Navigating Menopause Naturally
- 452: Esther Blum on How to Navigate Menopause Without All the Negative Symptoms
- 312: What to Expect & How to Prepare for Menopause with Dr. Lyla Blake-Gumbs
- 109: Dr. Anna Cabeca on Vaginal Health, Menopause, & Hormone Therapy
- 546: Dr. Trevor Cates on Hormones, Skin Health and Aging Gracefully
- Natural Remedies for Menopause: How to Reduce Hot Flashes & Other Menopause Symptoms
Discussion (3 Comments)
I have been searching for help with hormone imbalances for many years…this article really addressed many of my concerns…is there a way for me to contact Dr. Sands to inquire about a Telehealth visit? I’m overwhelmed trying to figure this out on my own, with no real help from the medical profession…now I understand why.
She has information about how to work with her and contact information here. https://www.glownaturalwellness.com/natural-healing-made-simple/
Lexapro (a SSRI) is used for women with menstrual Dysphoria. Alternate 2 weeks on and 2 eks off, during luteal phase. What is interesting is the fact that no problem stopping lexapro, no cold turkey, etc. There are variations on the timing. Of most interest to me, is that this practice proves that going off of a SSRI (at least Lexapro) is not an issue at all. This is not meant to support this usage of Lexapro. I am not medical person, no opinion.