Many of you know that for years I struggled with my thyroid health. Being told everything was fine and my labs were okay when I knew they were far from it. I finally found the answers I needed to get my health back on track, but not after first going to a lot of different doctors.
Dr. Amie is one of those amazing natural health practitioners who helps women heal their hormones. Known as the “thyroid-fixer”, Dr. Amie hosts the top-rated podcast called The Thyroid Fixer. She also founded the Institute of Thyroid and Hormone Optimization, an organization that addresses thyroid dysfunction and supports people in returning to full health. Plus she’s also done bodybuilding and weightlifting, even setting a state weightlifting record.
And today’s talk is all about our master gland the thyroid and how it ties in with our overall hormone and metabolism health. Many issues women are told are “normal,” like the inability to lose weight, extreme fatigue, and hair loss are actually linked to thyroid health. Dr. Amie covers what to look out for and what tests to get if you suspect something is wrong. We also talk about low progesterone symptoms, insulin levels, why we need magnesium, and so much more.
This was a very fact packed episode and I’m excited to share it with you!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Amie
- How she set a state powerlifting record
- The way the thyroid is connected to metabolism, hormones, and so much more
- Symptoms of thyroid issues and when symptoms and labs disagree
- Why thyroid function is tied to hair and skin health as well
- TSH is actually a pituitary hormone and not a thyroid hormone but why it is important
- What lab tests to get to get an accurate picture of thyroid health
- Free T3 and what it tells us about the thyroid
- Testosterone is the most abundant hormone in a woman’s body and why this is so important (testosterone is autoimmune protective)
- Natural ways to improve testosterone and when hormone replacement can be helpful
- Symptoms of low progesterone and what to do about it
- How insulin comes into play in this equation
- Yet more reasons why magnesium is so important, especially for thyroid
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Amie Hornaman – Website
- Thyroid Fixxr – T2 Supplement
- Driven by Douglas Brackmann PhD
- Thyroid Fixer Podcast
More From Wellness Mama
- 409: The Thyroid Reset Diet to Resolve Thyroid Problems With Dr. Alan Christianson
- 505: Dr. Michael Ruscio on Gut Health, Autoimmunity, Thyroid, and Sleep
- 686: Dr. Amy Myers on a Functional Take on Gut Health, Thyroid Health & Reducing Autoimmunity
- 614: Morley Robbins on Thyroid Health, Retinol, Magnesium, and the Real Story of Aging
- 118: McCall McPherson on How to Balance Thyroid Hormones at Home
- Hypothyroidism 101: How to Boost an Underactive Thyroid Naturally
- The Benefits of Berberine and How I Use It