Many of us can probably relate to the old diet advice to eat less and do more cardio. My guest today started her career as a dietitian with this mindset and after trying to lose weight and failing over and over (like many of us!) decided to try something else. Megan Hansen is not only a dietitian, but an author and a single mom. She founded the Metabolism Makeover, a nutrition business focused on metabolic health, without the guilt, shame, and restriction.
For years I underfed my body and it wasn’t until I started fueling it with enough protein and calories that the weight started to come off. Megan had a similar realization the more she learned about how our bodies actually work and what they need to function. Megan and I talk about her 6 pillars of a healthy metabolism, why more cardio isn’t the answer, and why sleep may be the most important of all.
As women and moms, we don’t need to run ourselves into the ground to be successful! We also talk about our stress buckets and how we can better manage them for more peaceful lives and fewer cravings. So many things Megan talked about today resonated with me and my personal experience on the journey to better health. I’m really excited to share today’s talk with you and I hope you’ll join us and listen in!
Episode Highlights With Megan
- How she got into the world of dietetics and metabolism
- Her own experience with nutrition, weight loss, and metabolism
- Teaching over telling, and how she has helped hundreds of women with this approach
- What metabolism actually is and what we need to understand to work with our bodies
- Metabolism is actually how the body uses what is put into it
- The body is something that is always building or breaking down and understanding this can help us
- A slow metabolism just means that the body isn’t utilizing everything we put into it
- The problem with chronically undereating and how this can be tough for the metabolism
- Six pillars of a healthy metabolism: blood sugar control, muscle, movement, stress management, gut health
- More reasons protein is important
- What weight loss resistance is and how it can relate back to stress
- Breaking the cycle of being overly busy and stressed and breaking the idea that we need to run ourselves into the ground for our families, our careers, etc
- What the stress bucket is and how to manage yours well
- Protein, fiber, healthy fats, and how to nourish your body well
- The importance of micro habits and focusing on one thing at a time
- Your body is not at war with you!
Resources We Mention
- Metabolism Makeover: Ditch the Diet, Train Your Brain, Drop the Weight for Good by Megan Hansen
- Her website
- Her Instagram
- Levels Glucose Monitor
- Just Thrive – Gut Health Products
- The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor
- You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero
- Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity by Peter Attia
More From Wellness Mama
- 010: Jonathan Bailor on Counting Calories & Why Diets Don’t Work
- 658: Stop Trying to Lose Weight and What to Do Instead With JJ Virgin
- 089: Shawn Stevenson on Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet & Exercise
- 551: Mollie McGlocklin on Sleep Is a Skill + Chronobiology and Circadian Rhythm
- 371: How Eating More Protein Will Transform Your Metabolism With Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
- 606: Kelly LeVeque on Blood Sugar Balance, the Fab Four, Protein, and Demystifying Health
- 626: The One All About Protein and Amino Acids – Short Episode
Join the Conversation...