You’ve probably heard me say more than once how important it is to get morning sunlight! In today’s short episode, I cover why it’s so important, how it helps, and how to do it on a practical level. I don’t do most health habits every single day, but getting morning sunlight in is one of my non-negotiables.
While I’ve recommended it for over a decade, it’s also become a recurring theme with podcast guests. In my opinion, sunlight is one of the few pieces of health advice that’s beneficial across the board for everyone. It helps set up our hormone cycles for the day for better immunity, focus and brain health, and better sleep at night (plus so many other things).
There’s a surprising amount of research on the topic that I’ll briefly go over as well. We’ll also cover what to do if you’re a shift worker or reasonably can’t get morning light. Plus how to set up the lights in your home for maximum health benefits from light.
Let’s dive in!
Episode Highlights From Katie
- Why morning sunlight is receiving so much attention lately and how light is a very important signaling mechanism for the body
- Dr. Amy Shah’s simple rule of “sky before screens” in the morning
- How light impacts areas of health such as weight, sleep, mood, and hormone function
- The science behind morning sunlight and how much to get
- What to do if you wake up before the sun or do shift work
- Other options if outdoor light is truly not an option in the morning
- Tips: Must be outside, no sunglasses, and aim for at least five minutes
- Light: Medicine Of the Future: How We Can Use It to Heal Ourselves NOW by Jacob Liberman O.D. Ph.D.
- 10,000 Lux Light
- BON CHARGE Light Bulbs
- Digital Light Timer
- Blackout Curtains
- Benefits of Sunlight: A Bright Spot for Human Health
- Patreon – Join me for exclusive content and Q&As
More From Wellness Mama
- 373: Why Sunlight Is As Important As Nutrition and Exercise for Health & Lifespan With Ari Whitten
- 609: Dr. Jack Kruse on Junk Light, 5G, Optimizing Sunlight and Longevity
- 573: Nadine Artemis on Natural Oral Health and the Power of Sunshine
- 619: The One About Habits and Habit Stacking – Short Series
- 611: Vulnerable Yearly Recap, Looking Ahead to Next Year and Answering Questions
- 602: Esther Blum on See Ya Later, Ovulator – Navigating Menopause Naturally
- The Benefits of Sunlight for Sleep and Hormones
- Benefits of Safe Sun Exposure for Reduced Cancer Risk (& Vitamin D)