I’m here with my friend, Justin Nault, on how to lose weight by eating more and exercising less. And I know that might sound like a crazy idea, but he has done this with thousands of people, and I really wanted to have him on to dispel some of the common myths that I think are doing a lot of damage, especially for women. And especially after my own experience, I am now eating almost twice as much as I used to, and am in much better shape. And we talk a lot about this in a lot of different areas, but he shares his story of how he got into health while having a very successful music career, and the shocking things he discovered in his biochemical research.
We also use our time to dive into why sugar doesn’t cause obesity and diabetes and what’s actually going on, why vegetable oils are chemical waste and can actually break your metabolism, how the liver turns over every eight weeks and how to use this to your advantage and why eating less food is not the way to lose weight and get healthy as I’ve learned myself.
He also talks about protein and what the protein to energy ratio is and how to use it to improve your metabolism. He gives guidelines for protein, protein powder, and nutrient density in food and why all food cravings come from micronutrient deficiencies and how to fix this. It was a very informative episode, I really enjoyed recording this one, and I can’t wait to share it with you.
Episode Highlights With Justin Nault
- His amazing story of how he got into health from a successful music career
- How his niece was born with a condition that led to his biochemistry research
- The most shocking things he discovered in his research early on
- Why sugar doesn’t cause obesity and diabetes and what’s actually going on
- The body isn’t a bank account, it’s a chemistry lab
- Why vegetable oils are chemical waste and they can break the metabolism
- The liver turns over cells every 8 weeks and how to use this to your advantage
- Why eating less food is not the way to lose weight and get healthy
- You likely are not eating anywhere near enough food and protein
- The protein to energy ratio and how to use it to improve your metabolism
- Why it’s impossible to get healthy from a place of self hate
- His practical tools to make the shift into self love, reverse dieting and nourishing the body
- Why there is no evidence that red meat causes cancer but why this misconception exists
- The difference between caloric restriction and caloric abstinence and how fasting can be a helpful tool
- His super clear explanations of fasting and dry fasting
- Guidelines for protein powder and nutrient density
- Why all food cravings come from micronutrient deficiencies and how to fix them
- His beautiful parting words of advice and book recommendations
- The one single change he would recommend everyone start with
Resources We Mention
- Clovis – His website
- The Clovis Culture Podcast
- Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez
- Eat Like The Animals: What Nature Teaches Us About the Science of Healthy Eating by David Raubenheimer and Stephen Simpson
- Reality Transurfing by Vadim Zeland
More From Wellness Mama
- 416: Q&A: Supplements, EMFs, Protein Snacks, First Principles, and More
- 371: How Eating More Protein Will Transform Your Metabolism w/ Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
- 352: How Protein Improves Metabolism and Health With Billy Bosch From Iconic Protein
- 345: How to Use Circadian Fasting to Improve Health & Slow Aging With Dr. Amy Shah
- 538: Dr. Satchin Panda on Time Restricted Eating to Reduce Body Fat and Metabolic Syndrome
- Guide to Healthy Protein Sources
- Why You Should Never Eat Vegetable Oil or Margarine
- NativePath Collagen Review
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Just Thrive Health! You’ve probably heard me mention this company before and their products are staples in my house. Their spore based probiotics are the best I’ve tried and my whole family uses them. I also really love their K2-7 which is sourced from chickpea natto and is the only pharmaceutical grade, all-natural vitamin K2 supplement with published safety studies and it contains just enough zinc to allow the K2 to be absorbed and utilized efficiently. Think of it like the traffic cop of your body. When it comes to utilizing Vitamin D and Calcium, K2 ensures they’re being managed correctly and traveling to all the right places. Moreover, Vitamin K2-7 can be found in literally every tissue of your body, making it a necessary and critical activator in many key bodily health functions. This makes it helpful for heart health, bone, brain and nerve development, and overall healthy growth and development. My older kids have all started taking it daily because they notice how much better they feel, especially after workouts, and it seems to especially make a difference when they are in growth spurts. I also find their IGG product helpful for immune and gastrointestinal health, and truly haven’t found a product of theirs that I didn’t feel a difference from. Check them all out and see for yourself at justthrivehealth.com/wellnessmama. Use code wellnessmama15 for 15% off.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse… my natural personal care line of products that are designed to work better than their conventional alternatives. And the newest in our lineup is natural deodorant that actually works! It joins our toothpaste, other oral care products, haircare and soap as, in my opinion, the best deodorant on the market. At Wellnesse, we know that what goes on the body gets into the body, so we create products that aren’t just not harmful, but go beyond to be great for the body! Our deodorant took a lot of iterations to get the formula perfect and now its a skin microbiome friendly, highly effective natural deodorant that won’t cause itching or rashes like many natural deodorants (and it smells great!). Check out all Wellnesse products at Wellnesse.com!