During quarantine, I’ve heard from many of you asking for help with cravings and weight gain caused by stress and the emotional toll all of this is taking. To that end I brought in Brittany Watkins, one of my favorite people for advice on natural ways to stop emotional eating, control food cravings, and end self-sabotage.
In fact, she’s one of the top experts in the world on using something called Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), or tapping, which I relied on heavily during my weight loss journey. During that experience I realized I had to do the inner work I had ignored for so long in order to move forward.
Let me say too that I don’t think people need to necessarily be a certain size or a certain weight to be healthy. At the same time, I can’t argue with the fact that my health markers are all in a healthier range now and my Hashimotos is finally in remission. I give Brittany and her methods a lot of credit for where I am today, and I’m excited to share her with you in this episode.
Episode Highlights on The Watkins Method
- How trauma can show up on our body as extra weight
- Ways our bodies store traumatic experiences (even the small ones)
- Why tapping interrupts and retrains our ingrained thoughts and memories
- A strategy for tracing a craving back to an emotion or thought
- The 9 points of EFT and how Emotional Freedom Therapy works
- Ideas for handing down healthy thoughts and behaviors to our children, especially around food
- What led Brittany to finally find the source of her struggles and find peace
- One key question that stops most cravings in their tracks
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Brittany Watkins
- Previous podcast with Brittany Watkins: 212: How to Release Cravings and Emotional Eating With EFT
- Blog post: EFT: How Tapping & Emotional Freedom Technique Work
- The Inconvenient Truth About Relationships by Arthur Hartz
- Alison A. Armstrong
More From Wellness Mama
- 406: The Case for Keto: Rethinking Obesity and Weight Loss With Gary Taubes
- 371: How Eating More Protein Will Transform Your Metabolism w/ Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
- 317: Tackling Insomnia, Anxiety, Weight, and Hormones Naturally With Esther Blum
- 313: The Tapping Solution to Reduce Anxiety, Stress, and Pain With Nick Ortner
- 87: How to Stop Emotional Eating (From a Nutritionist Who Lost 100 Pounds!)
- 45: How to Lose Weight with Thyroid Problems
- How to Fix Leptin Resistance to Control Weight, Cravings & More
- The Importance of Balancing Stress Hormones
Have you ever tried EFT? Did it help with weight loss? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that is based on the recipes I’ve been making at home in my kitchen for decades. Many “clean” products simply don’t work and this is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but contain ingredients that work better than their conventional alternatives and that nourish your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to finally share these products with you and wanted to tell you about our brand new dry shampoo! It can be used various ways. You can sprinkle it in clean hair to add volume and to extend time between washes, sprinkle it in hair that has not been washed in a day or two to absorb oil or sweat and you can work in to color treated hair to maintain color-treated hair by not having to wash as often. It contains oil-absorbing kaolin clay and volume-boosting tapioca which work together to refresh hair at the roots. Lavender oil and cactus flower help to balance scalp and strands’ natural pH. We even added hibiscus for healthy hair growth. You can check it out and try it at wellnesse.com and my tip is to grab a bundle to save or subscribe and save as well!
This podcast is sponsored by Joovv Red Light Therapy. Like many of you, I am always trying to find different ways to keep my wellness routine in check. I’ve noticed some of the things that are most helpful to me are practicing daily gratitude, a no-phone rule one hour before and after bed, eating healthy and exercising, and if you’ve been listening to me for a while now, getting in my red light therapy sessions. I’ve told you before about why I personally love Joovv before: the skin and hair benefits are awesome and I find that I recover faster from soreness after working out. Joovv is my preferred red light therapy device because it has a patented, modular system that lets you build as you go so you can find a way to fit it into your budget. They have full-body devices (Joovv Elite & Duo) and you can keep connecting these pieces together to make it as big of a device as you like. They also have a smaller desktop model (Joovv Mini), which is great for travel or for spot treating. Remember, when it comes to natural light modalities, bigger is better for optimal benefits, which is why their modular system is so unique. I wanted my listeners to know they offer exclusive discounts on larger devices when you upgrade your system within the first year of your initial purchase. Their unique modular design lets you build a larger, full-body system over time, and their bundle pricing ensures you’ll pay only what you would have paid if you bought the larger system from the start. Find out more at joovv.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama for a free gift.