This podcast is all about the brain, and specifically how to build a better brain at home starting with sleep. I’m here with the neuroscientist I trust my own brain to, Dr. Andrew Hill, who is a previous guest on this podcast. We spoke in the first episode about neurofeedback and very specific brain training for things like attention issues, TBIs, and much more. And I wanted to have him back today for a different focus on what you can do at home to improve your brain, and your children’s brain.
He’s one of the top peak performance coaches in the country. He has a Ph.D. in cognitive neuroscience and he is the one that has done EEGs and guided neurofeedback for my own brain. He goes into an overview of what things like QEEG and neurofeedback are, how meditation changes the brain in a tangible way and he makes a very strong case for why sleep is the most single important factor you can focus on for the sake of your brain. He also gives his top three rules in order of importance for improving sleep. We go in a lot of directions and there are a lot of key takeaways if you want to profoundly improve your sleep and your brain!
Episode Highlights With Andrew Hill
- What QEEG is and ways it can be used to create a picture of the brain
- The way neurofeedback works and how it can be a helpful tool
- The way brain maps and neurofeedback are used to help improve things like focus, creativity, trauma response, attention and TBI recovery
- How meditation changes the brain and why it should be everyone’s minimum viable process each day
- Ways to get started with mindfulness and meditation and good resources for this
- The reason sleep is the most important thing you can focus on for the brain
- Why to ignore the REM metrics on any sleep tracker
- The reason to look at deep sleep and how to improve it
- Biohacks for deep sleep
- Why Dr. Hill pays specific attention to his deep sleep and ketones
- His top three sleep hacks
- Why sleeping when insulin is up suppresses growth hormone and ages you faster
- The reason getting up by sunrise and seeing morning light resets the brain and hormones and why this is the only light cue that matters
- Why screens might not be as bad as we think but why morning light is much more important that we realize
- How to partition food based on time, calories and macros to manipulate hormones and the brain
- Why he thinks the keto world is missing the boat but why it can be useful short term for the brain
- A reason to keep protein consumption high for the brain and why he keeps carbs between 50-100g a day
- What a nootropic actually is and why we mislabel a lot of them
- Why he isn’t a fan of modafinil and doesn’t recommend it
- The reasons humans are wired to wake up before dawn
- Why food timing is the most important thing for circadian rhythms
- The reasons he is a fan of caffeine when used correctly *whew*
- How to successfully abuse caffeine 🙂
Resources We Mention
- 252: How to Activate Peak Brain Performance With Neuroscientist Dr. Andrew Hill
- Peak Brain
- Peak Brain Mindfulness
- The Gift by Hafiz
More From Wellness Mama
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Organifi. They make delicious superfood drinks, they’re beyond easy to incorporate into your routine. Let me tell you about my two personal favorites. Their green juice contains a clinical dose of ashwagandha, which supports healthy cortisol levels to aid in weight management. It also contains 11 superfoods for resetting the body and takes just 30 seconds with no chopping, shopping, or juicing, or blending. It’s organic, it tastes delicious, and no blender needed. You just add water and drink it up, and let your body soak up the benefits. I also love their Gold drink at night, it’s like a turmeric tea, they even have a chocolate version, that contains nine superfoods for rest and relaxation. It tastes delicious in warm weather and can be mixed in milk, water, or milk alternatives. It’s low sugar, so you can enjoy this dessert-like tea guilt-free and wake up refreshed without drowsiness. My kids love the chocolate one. You can check out these and all of their products, including protein powder and red antioxidant drink by going to organifi.com/wellnessmama, and using the code wellnessmama to save 20% on your order.
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my natural and good for you personal care line. That’s Wellness with an “e” on the end. When I realized years ago that there weren’t any great natural personal care products that worked as well as many of the conventional options, I set out to create ones that weren’t just comparable, but better! We created haircare that nourishes and protects your hair, rather than stripping it with harsh detergents like many others. Our toothpaste works with your mouth, not against it, to develop healthy teeth and gums, and our dry shampoo is my go-to on busy days and after workouts. All products are based on the idea of working with your body and not against it, with nourishing ingredients rather than harsh detergents or chemicals. Try it and feel the difference for yourself at Wellnesse.com.