Most of us think plants you can eat only exist in a garden or grocery store, but did you know that more than half of the plants we see outdoors in daily life are also edible? I did not know that before this episode! I’m here with Sam Thayer, foraging expert, to go deep on how to use wild edibles (safely) for health, culinary uses, and the protection of our planet.
Learn about literally hundreds of species of plants available in the U.S. and how to identify them and incorporate them into your diet. This is a really cool way to save money, get a whole lot more micronutrients from your food, and get much more in touch with your food supply.
After this interview, I’m ready to take the whole family out and see what we can find!
Episode Highlights With Sam Thayer
- Why half of the plants in most areas are edible food plants in some form!
- What black locust flowers are and how to find them (and why they are so nutritious)
- What the different types of foods are that you can forage
- How to identify edible plants in your region of the U.S.
- The one simple rule to keep yourself safe when foraging (it’s easier than you think)
- Why herbicides and pesticides are changing the natural landscape, and what we need to do about it
- How to make tea out of pine needles (yep, really!)
- Some kid favorites to try to find when foraging
- How you know when you know enough to get started
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 468: Daniel Vitalis on Human Domestication and Our Diminishing Relationship to Nature
- 414: Ancestral Parenting, Biological Norms, Wild Food, and Foraging With Arthur Haines
- 449: Randy Newberg on Seasonal Eating, Sustainable Food Sourcing, and Learning From the Outdoors
- 310: Can Our Soils Heal Us? How Regenerative Agriculture and Home Gardens Can Improve Our Health
- Ecotherapy: The Health Benefits of Nature
- Why to Try Forest Bathing to Decrease Anxiety, Depression, and Inflammation
- Guide to Growing Herbs for Cooking, Remedies, and More
- DIY Chickweed Salve Recipe
Have you ever tried foraging? Any tips to share? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Levels Continuous Glucose Monitors. I have been experimenting with this continuous glucose monitoring system for the past few months, and I’ve learned so much personalized data about my body’s own response to different foods, even to workouts, to sauna, and to when I don’t get enough sleep. I’ve been using Levels, and this has made a significant difference in the way I track my glucose data, and especially as it relates to diet and fitness. Levels is cool, because in addition to providing you with the continuous glucose monitor sensors, their app interprets your data, scores your individual meal, and allows you to run experiments across different inputs like diet, exercise, or even fasting protocols.
They’re backed by a world-class team, including Stanford-trained MD, top engineers from SpaceX and Google, and a research team that includes legends in the space like Dr. Dominic D’Agostino and Dr. David Perlmutter, both who have been guests on this podcast before. Health is so personalized, and this has given me a way to know the best foods for my own body, and it’s helping me get enough protein and carbs while still maintaining weight loss. Levels is currently running a closed beta program with a waitlist of 100,000 people, but, as a listener, you can skip that line and join Levels today by going to, levels.link/wellnessmama. So, again, make sure you get the link right. It’s levels.link/wellnessmama, all one word.
This episode is brought to you by Paleovalley Vitamin C Complex! Their Essential C Complex is the most powerful, 100% natural, vitamin C product on the planet. It contains not one but three of the most concentrated natural sources of vitamin C: amla berry, camu camu berry, and unripe acerola cherry. Each nutrient-packed serving delivers 750% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C – an amount meant to help you thrive, not just survive. Most other vitamin C supplements are derived from GMO corn and only contain one fraction of the vitamin – ascorbic acid. Their Essential C Complex contains the entire spectrum with absolutely no synthetic vitamin C… just organic superfoods! Humans are the only mammals that don’t make their own vitamin C. This means we must get it from our diets. More than just a boost to the immune system, it plays a critical role in many of the body’s functions and is a powerful antioxidant. It also aids in tissue regeneration, the absorption of iron, and production of collagen. Vitamin C has also been shown to fight oxidative stress and cancer, support oral and brain health, manage stress, increase nutrient availability, improve energy levels, combat weight gain, and reduce risk of a stroke, toxic burden, hypertension, and so much more. Grab it at paleovalley.com/mama and use Mama15 for 15% off!