I may be a few years away from menopause, but this is the time to start learning about it and how to approach it in a natural way. Today’s episode is jam packed with really direct, practical resources on menopause, from dietitian and women’s coach Esther Blum.
Esther’s helped thousands of women permanently balance their hormones and lose stubborn fat by treating the root cause of their health struggles during and after menopause. You may remember her from an earlier episode and also as the author of the books Cave Women Don’t Get Fat as well as Eat, Drink, and Be Gorgeous. She has a very busy virtual practice, so it’s possible to get help directly from her no matter where you live!
Over to Esther…
Episode Highlights With Esther Blum
- What is happening hormonally during menopause
- The most common symptoms and what is causing them
- How to mitigate the worst of the symptoms
- The reason women often experience insomnia during menopause and how to help this
- Why there is an increase in gut permeability during menopause
- The reason estrogen loss decreased bile and can lead to digestive symptoms
- How trauma can bring on early menopause
- Her recommendation for bio-identical hormones that can help
- Factors that improve gut health to ease the symptoms of menopause
- The uncommon marker of gut health that affects menopause symptoms
- A simple trick to make potatoes higher in resistant starch
- Simple fruits that can be supportive
- What a good baseline menopause diet looks like
- How brassica family vegetables can help with estrogen detox
- The real reason to avoid booze and caffeine during menopause
- Why to avoid long cardio during menopause
- The trauma connection to hormones and how to fix it
- How to get into a parasympathetic state to support hormones
- A reason to turn off technology a few hours before bed, especially during menopause
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Free consultation with Esther
- Esther Blum books
- Levels glucose monitor
- Four Sigmatic
- Ashley VanHouten, Muscle Maven podcast
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- The Body Keeps the Score by Besser van der Kolk
- The Case for Better Meat by Diana Rogers
More From Wellness Mama
- 374: Sacred Cow: The Case for (Better) Meat (& Methane Explained) With Diana Rodgers
- 373: Why Sunlight Is As Important As Nutrition and Exercise for Health & Lifespan With Ari Whitten
- 312: What to Expect & How to Prepare for Menopause with Dr. Lyla Blake-Gumbs
- 234: The Keto-Green Way to Optimize Hormones & Libido With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- 109: Vaginal Health, Menopause, and Hormone Therapy With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- Natural Remedies for Menopause: How to Reduce Hot Flashes & Other Menopause Symptoms
- Symptoms of Vaginal Atrophy (& Natural Ways to Protect Vaginal Health)
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Hiya Health, essential super nutrient vitamins for kids. While most children’s vitamins are filled with 5 grams of sugar and can cause a variety of health issues, Hiya is made with zero sugar and zero gummy junk, yet it tastes great and is perfect for picky eaters. Hiya fills in the most common gaps in modern children’s diets to provide the full-body nourishment our kids need with a yummy taste they love. Manufactured in the USA with globally sourced ingredients each selected for optimal bioavailability and absorption. Hiya arrives straight to your door on a pediatrician-recommended schedule. Your first month comes with a reusable glass bottle your kids can personalize with stickers, then every month thereafter Hiya sends a no-plastic refill pouch of fresh vitamins — which means Hiya isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment. Get some for your kids at hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse – my new personal care product line of natural and good-for-you haircare, toothpaste, hand sanitizer and more. You’ve likely heard that much of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body, which is a good reason to avoid harmful products, but you can also use this to your advantage by putting beneficial things on your body! Realizing that many of my closest friends still used certain conventional personal care products even though they’d cleaned up many other parts of their diet and home, I set out to create alternatives that outperformed the existing conventional options, with no harmful ingredients, and Wellnesse was born. Our good-for-you haircare and mineral rich toothpaste nourish your body from the outside in while you nourish it from the inside out, for amazing hair and teeth. Check it out at Wellnesse.com.