I’m here with Dr. Ted Achacoso, a polymath doctor with one of the most impressive resumes I’ve ever seen. He is multiple board-certified and an expert in many things, including what he calls health optimization medicine. It’s an entirely different approach to medicine, beyond even functional medicine and naturopathic medicine, that specializes in things like nootropics, anti-aging, hormones, and so much more.
In this episode, we’ll learn about his seven pillars of health, simple ways to help optimize brain function and sleep quickly, and so much more.
We barely scratched the surface on the first couple of questions that I wanted to talk to him about, so I’ll definitely be inviting him back for at least one more round! Let me know in the comments what you’d like me to ask him next time.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Ted Achacoso
- What health optimization medicine is and how it differs from other medical approaches
- Ways to monitor important metrics using critical metabolomics (small molecule metabolites)
- The things to measure to track health most effectively
- How important Vitamin D is (and what an optimal range actually is)
- Ways to rev up mitochondria in daily lifestyle
- How an overnight 12-hour fast can rev up mitochondria
- New understanding of the gut and brain connection, and why it is important
- Why we should consider the gut microbiome an organ within the body and treat it as such
- Health optimization vs prevention and why the distinction matters
- The seven pillars of health optimization that are not taught in medical school
- Toxic vs non-toxic light and why it matters (why not to have blue light overhead after the sun has set)
- A reason not to rely too much on vitamin D supplementation (and why the sun still wins)
- His take on nootropics for brain balancing
- One simple movement that can help optimize brain function quickly
- Nicotine: why it can be beneficial when used correctly
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Ted Achacoso
- Troscriptions– Use code WELLNESSMAMA for 5% off
- Illusions: The Adventure of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach
More From Wellness Mama
- 321: Detoxification, Mitochondrial Health, Biophysics, and Figuring Out Your Optimal With Caleb Jennings
- 383: Resilience, Mitochondrial Health, Peptides, and Smart Supplementation With World’s Leading Biochemist Shawn Wells
- 429: How Light Can Heal (or Damage) Your Health & Hormones With Andy Mant
- 431: How to Use Whole Body Vibration for Strength, Bone Health and Fat Loss With Power Plate
- Nootropics and Smart Drugs: Brain Boosting Substances?
Did you enjoy this interview? What would you like me to ask Dr. Ted next time? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by my friends at Four Sigmatic, my long-time source for superfood mushroom infused beverages like tea, coffee and elixirs. I’ve also really been enjoying their new plant based protein powder, infused with 7 functional mushrooms, adaptogens and no harmful fillers. It’s easy to add to smoothies or drink on its own in water. I’ve even made a whipped cappuccino smoothie using their vanilla protein powder and a packet of their lion’s mane coffee and it was delicious. If you are new to functional mushrooms, I also highly recommend their reishi packets at night for better sleep. Check them, and all Four Sigmatic products, out at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and use code wellnessmama for 10% off.
This podcast is sponsored by Olipop natural sodas. They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health. 90% of Americans consume more than the USDA’s daily recommended added sugar intake (30g). Sweetened beverages (like soda) are the leading source of added sugars in the American diet. OLIPOP is much (much) lower in sugar than conventional sodas with only 2-5 grams of sugar from natural sources. No added sugar. Their Vintage Cola has just two grams of sugar as compared to a regular Coca-Cola which has 39g of sugar. Their Orange Squeeze has 5g of sugar compared to Orange Fanta which has 44g of sugar. All of their products are Non-GMO, Vegan, Paleo and Keto-friendly with less than 8g net carbs per can. We’ve worked out a special deal for Wellness Mama podcast listeners. Receive 15% off your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. OLIPOP can also be found in over 5,000 stores across the country, including Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans.