This episode gets into some really cool science, even more than usual! It’s about neurosurgery, specifically in spinal health, but we dive into also brain health, and so much more. I am here with Dr. Marcella Madera, whose bio is so impressive. She is board-certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery. Not only that, she is world-renowned in the surgical treatment of conditions of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, spine tumors, and degenerative deformity.
What’s really impressive is that Marcella combines the cutting edge of surgical treatment with alternative and even energy therapies. She shares the incredible results she’s getting for her patients and how these therapies can translate into other areas of life as well.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Marcella Madera
- Why Marcella chose to make neurology/the nervous system her specialty
- How her holistic education reinforced her success as a neurosurgeon, resulting in an integrative practice
- Indicators that you might need surgery for spinal issues vs. more non-invasive options
- The role of aging in brain and spinal health, and how to age gracefully
- Why the research is pointing to the need for biologic decoding when addressing these problems
- Common causes of back pain, and natural solutions to try
- How to combat inflammation, a root cause of pain and disease, with energy work
- Simple lifestyle changes that can make a real difference in spinal and overall health
- How to learn your “real” age by testing your DNA methylation
- Dr. Marcella’s take on nootropics and whether they’re safe and effective for moms
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Austin Integrative Spine
- Energy for Success
- The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
- Power vs Force by David Hawkins MD
More From Wellness Mama
- 260: Why the 21st Century Is at War With Your Spine With Ty Carzoli
- 435: The Cause (and Solution) of Back and Neck Pain With the Neck Shaper
- 399: Chronic Pain: What’s Wrong With the Normal Approach and How to Fix It With Dr. Yoni Whitten
- 418: Brain Wash: Detox Your Mind for Clearer Thinking, Deeper Relationships, and Lasting Happiness With Dr. Perlmutter
- 238: Using Neuroplasticity to Rewire Nervous System or Brain Disorders With Carol Garner-Houston
- How to Stimulate Vagus Nerve Function to Reduce Inflammation and Support the Brain
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Joovv Red light therapy. Red light therapy, also known as photobiomodulation, is gaining popularity and with good reason. Many people swear by it for skin health and to help slow the aging process, but research shows that it can benefit the body in many ways. In a recent episode of this podcast, one guest explained how dramatically light impacts the body, influencing everything from sleep to hormones and much more. He explained that some research shows that red light can help protect against damage from too much blue light exposure or too much sun exposure. Red light does naturally occur at some times of the day too, which is another great reason to get outside first thing in the morning or as the sun sets, but for those of us who can’t make that a habit every day, at home red lights like Joovv are the solution. Learn more and lock in an exclusive Wellness Mama discount at joovv.com/wellnessmama.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care product line of natural and good-for-you haircare, toothpaste, hand sanitizer and more. You’ve likely heard that much of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body, which is a good reason to avoid harmful products, but you can also use this to your advantage by putting beneficial things on your body! Realizing that many of my closest friends still used certain conventional personal care products even though they’d cleaned up many other parts of their diet and home, I set out to create alternatives that outperformed the existing conventional options, with no harmful ingredients, and Wellnesse was born. Our good-for-you haircare and mineral rich toothpaste nourish your body from the outside in while you nourish it from the inside out, for amazing hair and teeth. Check it out at Wellnesse.com.