This episode is about a clever way one entrepreneur connects people directly with their local food economies to save money, get more nutritious food, and support small family farmers. I’m here with Matthew, who’s the co-founder of LAEF, which is short for Local Agriculture Expansion Foundation.
In a nutshell, LAEF is a free payment and e-commerce platform that supports small sustainable farms to help them connect and transact with their local communities. I met Matthew recently and really wanted to share him with you guys because with the uncertain times we’re in, a strong local food supply is more important than ever. It’s a move that also supports small businesses and the overall economy right where we live.
I think we’re seeing more and more people move toward this type of model, so if you love fresh, nutritious food definitely give this one a listen!
Episode Highlights With LAEF (Local Agricultural Expansion Foundation)
- Obstacles most small family farms face, and how LAEF is helping
- Reasons to source your food from local farmers instead of the grocery store (even if organic)
- How local food economies are the solution to several problems right now
- The way LAEF brings small family farms to the modern market and vice versa
- Matthew’s #1 piece of advice for entrepreneurs in today’s COVID-influenced market
- Why he intentionally does something that feels hard every day
- One way LAEF is helping protect the quality and freshness of local food
- The benefits of extreme physical challenge
- How to raise resourceful, independent kids
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 395: Gratitude and Silver Linings of This Year & Thanksgiving Podcast
- 367: Creating Your Tribe: Micro-Communities for School, Activities, & Social Support
- 66: Vote with Your Dollars to Make (Real) Change With John Durant
- 133: GMOs, Glyphosate, Organic Food & What’s Making Our Children Sick
- Is Organic Food Worth The Price? What the Label Really Means
- Simple Seasonal Eating Guide for Families
- It’s Time to Bring Back Victory Gardens
- How to Make an Indoor Kitchen Herb Garden
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Hiya chewable kids vitamins. It’s a new company I found that my kids are extremely excited about. Do you know that most typical children’s vitamins are essentially just candy in disguise? Many have as much as two teaspoons of sugar, along with some food dyes, some other unhealthy chemicals, or gummy junk that kids should probably never eat as a dentist would probably agree with. Hiya is the complete opposite. It fills the most common gaps in children’s diets with full-body nourishment and a yummy taste they love without any of that junk. While most children’s vitamins might contain as much as 5 grams of sugar, it can cause a variety of health issues. Hiya has created a zero sugar, zero gummy, junk-free vitamin that tastes great, and as my kids will attest, is delicious. It’s perfect even for picky eaters. Also importantly, it’s manufactured in the U.S. with globally sourced ingredients, each selected and screened for optimal bioavailability and absorption. What’s cool is they send us to your door on the pediatrician recommended schedule. And the first month, you get a reusable glass bottle, that you can personalize with stickers. So every month thereafter, they send a no plastic refill pouch, which means it isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment, and it reduces waste. My kids love the little glass jar that the vitamins are in and I love how it’s low waste. You can find out all about them, and their sourcing, and the many benefits by going to hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that is based on the recipes I’ve been making at home in my kitchen for decades. Many “clean” products simply don’t work and this is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but contain ingredients that work better than their conventional alternatives and that nourish your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to finally share these products with you and wanted to tell you about our brand new dry shampoo! It can be used various ways. You can sprinkle it in clean hair to add volume and to extend time between washes, sprinkle it in hair that has not been washed in a day or two to absorb oil or sweat and you can work in to color treated hair to maintain color-treated hair by not having to wash as often. It contains oil-absorbing kaolin clay and volume-boosting tapioca which work together to refresh hair at the roots. Lavender oil and cactus flower help to balance scalp and strands’ natural pH. We even added hibiscus for healthy hair growth. You can check it out and try it at wellnesse.com and my tip is to grab a bundle to save or subscribe and save as well!