Crock pot meatloaf is an easy and delicious meal that can cook while you work, play with your kids or cross things off your to-do list. We like it better than regular meatloaf, and you avoid the chance of the meatloaf grease overflowing in the oven and causing a major cloud of smoke (am I the only one who has done that?).
This recipe is easy to vary: add cumin and chili powder for a Mexican flavor, pureed veggies to get your kids to eat them, or put bacon and homemade barbecue sauce on top (because bacon improves everything!)
- 2 pounds of ground beef, bison, or turkey (or a combination)
- 1 medium onion, very finely diced or pureed in blender (preferred method)
- 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- salt, pepper and any other spices to taste- I use about 1-2 teaspoons of each
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Mix all ingredients well in a medium sized bowl.
- Place in a metal loaf pan (if using a large crock pot) or directly in crock pot. Place the loaf pan directly in the crock pot if using a loaf pan.
- Put the lid on crock pot and cook on low (6-8 hours) or high (4 hours). If not using the loaf pan, it will cook faster, so check in 3-4 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high.
- When cooked, turn the crock pot off and let cool for 15-30 minutes with lid off before cutting.
- Top with homemade ketchup (optional) and serve.
Random note: my kids actually like meatloaf with applesauce on it, so I add 1/2 cup applesauce in the last hour of cooking.
Ever made meatloaf in a crock pot? What is your secret to great meatloaf? Share below!