Thanks for stopping by!
I’m Katie, aka: the Wellness Mama. This blog is my passion and my hobby. My goal and primary objective in writing is to help you sort through all the
conventional bad health advice and live a healthier life.
So who am I?
These are always the toughest questions to answer… like when you get asked to describe yourself in one word during a job interview. Let’s see…I’m a wife, mom of 5, amateur chef, real food crusader, kettlebell junkie, scuba diver and coffee addict who can finally do a pull-up (according to my twitter bio). I’m also a chronic abuser of ellipses… (and asides) and dorkily enjoy reading medical journals in my free time. I love creating new recipes, DIY projects, and gardening. I do not love dishes, laundry, or paying bills. Enough about me… I want to know about you! Come say hi on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+! (all places I spend way to much time!)
Why Wellness Mama?
If you’re new to Wellness Mama…start here! My goal is to provide my family with the healthiest foods and lifestyle possible and help you do the same. My pursuit of health for my family has led me to some conclusions that go against the grain – pun intended. This blog is a fusion of my passions for my family, for health and for fun. I attempt to combine science, common sense and humor to explain the pillars of my “Wellness Mama” lifestyle. You won’t find a lot of posts about me or my family, because Wellness Mama is for and about you. My goal is to help each of you become a “Wellness Mama” or “Wellness Dad.” I give you fair warning that many things on this blog will go against conventional wisdom. Things I write will go against what your mom taught you, what you learned in school and what you have always held to be true. Bring on the cognitive dissonance! If you are new, drop in and browse some yummy recipes, find solutions to your health woes, say hi in the forum or browse some popular posts. I’ve compiled my favorite real food, healthy living, fitness, and blogging resources and all of my favorite products are available in my store. I’m here to support you on your health journey, so if you have questions or comments along the way, please ask on Twitter, Facebook, or Google+. You’ll also get support and advice from the wonderful Wellness Mama Community.
Some Additional Randomness:
Taking a cue from Jen, I figured that a few additional facts about me will help some of the craziness on this blog make more sense:
- I met my husband walking across the country. Literally. We walked 20+ miles a day each and eventually made it from the west coast to Washington D.C. It was the hardest and best thing I had ever done until I had kids…
- We now have five kids under seven and while life is
usuallyalways crazy, I wouldn’t trade one second.
- Though I’m naturally a somewhat cautious introvert, I married a spontaneous and very athletic husband who has thankfully challenged me to get out of my comfort zone and try new things like scuba diving, martial arts, and many others. He is definitely my better half!
- I will occasionally (or not so occasionally) post about baseball on social media- in our family baseball is our favorite sport. This is because baseball is the greatest sport ever- this is fact.
- Both of my parents have some hearing loss. I have tremendous respect for them and have learned a lot from them over the years. We used sign language pretty often at home growing up and our house was usually pretty quiet for this reason. Fast forward ten years and I’m now raising five kids in a small house and it is LOUD. That is probably the hardest thing about having young kids for me- the noise!
- I often forget that I am “weird” by “normal” standards but our family does go against the norm in things like: cloth diapering, natural birthing, GAPS dieting, homeschooling, not eating grains, making my own toothpaste, drinking the fat and more…
- I am a doula (in my free time) and absolutely love helping women have positive birth experiences since I know first hand how deeply birth can affect women (in good and bad ways).
- When I was in middle-school, I taught myself to speed-read. It is by far the most valuable thing I’ve ever learned and far surpasses anything I learned in my 18+ years of formal education.
- The only food I absolutely will not eat is.. bananas. I don’t know if it is a taste or texture thing or if I ate too many as a kid, but I’d gladly eat boiled spinach or raw liver before touching a banana. I actually hate being around bananas too…
- I married in to a family of talented musicians. I am not a very talented musician.
- I think I have more shoes than clothes and I don’t even like wearing shoes…. they are just the only thing that fits through pregnancy and nursing without changing size.
- I’m working on a book about living naturally – with all my free time, I expect it to come out in about 2025
- As cliche and corny as it sounds, my real goal with the blog is to help others.
This blog is for you, so let me know what you think! If you like it, hit the like, tweet, or plus 1 button or come say hi on social media! Thanks for reading!
-Katie The Wellness Mama