Hi, I’m Katie, the “Wellness Mama” and my goal is to help other families live more naturally through practical tips, real food recipes, natural beauty and cleaning tutorials, natural remedies and more.
Why Wellness Mama?
It all started for me almost a decade ago when my first son was born. I was sitting in the doctors office at my follow up visit and I read in a magazine that was sitting on the side table that:
..For the first time in centuries, the current generation of children will have a shorter life expectancy than their parents…
That hit me like a ton of bricks. I was holding my perfect newborn and reading about how his generation would face higher rates of cancer, heart disease, autoimmune disease and other many other health problems.
That day, my life changed and I decided to work to change that statistic. It’s been a long journey for me, through four more pregnancies, finding out that I have a thyroid disease and working to find answers, and completely changing my family’s lifestyle from eating pasta and using chemical cleaners to real food and natural homemade products.
My goal is to help make the transition to living naturally easier for you than it has been for me, and to share my own journey (since we’re always learning and growing).
I’m not a doctor, a lawyer or a “health guru” – I’m just a mom who is super passionate about creating a healthy life for my family, and I’m guessing you’re a lot like me. In fact, I compiled a checklist of the things I wish I’d known when I first started, the cliff notes of natural living, in a simple guide, and I’d love to give it to you. Just enter your email address here and I’ll send it your way. Don’t worry- I hate spam more than you, so you can unsubscribe at any time.
Are You #JustAMom?
Here’s the thing, I can’t change the health of the world alone, but I’m absolutely convinced that as a group, women and moms can. Here’s why- we, as women and mothers have tremendous power. Not only are we raising the next generation, feeding them, teaching them, etc but we control the majority of food dollars spent around the world. So my goal is to help every mom become a “Wellness Mama” so that together, we can create lasting change.
I often get asked, “Do you work or are you #justamom?” and this question frustrates me, because regardless of where we work or our official job descriptions, every woman, every mother, works incredibly hard. And because being #justamom is more than enough! I hope to make being #justamom just a little easier for you.
At WellenssMama.com you’ll find all of my best real food recipes, natural living and cleaning tutorials, beauty recipes and health hacks with natural ingredients, natural remedies, and so much more.
Sometimes things get silly or really nerdy, but I’ll always keep things practical and usable. You’ll learn how to make the most effective lotion ever, in a bar, how to infuse magnesium into your lotion for better sleep, 101 ways to use coconut oil and so much more.
Most of the time, I stick to real food, natural living, beauty products and natural remedies, but if we become friends on facebook, instagram, twitter, or G+ you’ll also hear occasionally about my life with five kids, what I do in my free time, the best sports team ever, and my totally normal hobbies like jujutsu, and reading medical journals.
Enough about me- I want to know about you! Come join the awesome community around here, say hi in the comments of a post that looks interesting to you and tell me about how you ended up here.
Some Additional Randomness:
- I met my husband walking across the country. Literally. We walked 20+ miles a day each and eventually made it from the west coast to Washington D.C. It was the hardest and best thing I had ever done until I had kids…
- We now have five kids under nine and while life is
usuallyalways crazy, I wouldn’t trade one second of it.
- Though I’m naturally a somewhat cautious introvert, I married a spontaneous and very athletic husband who has thankfully challenged me to get out of my comfort zone and try new things like scuba diving, martial arts, and many others. He is definitely my better half!
- I will occasionally (or not so occasionally) post about baseball on social media- in our family baseball is the favorite sport. This is because baseball is the greatest sport ever- this is fact.
- Both of my parents have some hearing loss. I have tremendous respect for them and have learned a lot from them over the years. We used sign language very often at home growing up and our house was usually pretty quiet for this reason. Fast forward ten years and I’m now raising five kids and it is LOUD. That is probably the hardest thing about having young kids for me- the noise!
- I often forget that I am “weird” by “normal” standards but our family does go against the norm in things like: cloth diapering, natural birthing, GAPS dieting, homeschooling, not eating grains, making my own toothpaste, drinking the fat and more…
- I am a doula (in my free time) and absolutely love helping women have positive birth experiences since I know first hand how deeply birth can affect women (in good and bad ways).
- When I was in middle-school, I taught myself to speed-read. It is by far the most valuable thing I’ve ever learned and far surpasses anything I learned in my 18+ years of formal education.
- The only food I absolutely will not eat is.. bananas. I don’t know if it is a taste or texture thing or if I ate too many as a kid, but I’d gladly eat boiled spinach or raw liver before touching a banana. I actually hate being around bananas too…
- I married in to a family of talented musicians and personal trainers. I am not a very talented musician or a natural athlete.
- I think I have more shoes than clothes and I don’t even like wearing shoes…. they are just the only thing that fits through pregnancy and nursing without changing size.
- As cliche and corny as it sounds, my real goal with the blog is to help you and to create lasting changes so that our children can grow up in a better world.
Official Bio & Picture:
Katie, the “Wellness Mama” is a wife and mom of five, as well as an award-winning blogger, author, podcaster and real food crusader. Her mission with WellnessMama.com is to provide simple answers for healthier families through practical tips, real food recipes, natural beauty and cleaning tutorials, natural remedies and more. As a mom of five, Katie has developed systems and tips for living a Wellness Lifestyle™ with a family and on a budget and she was recently named by greatist.com as one of the 100 most influential people in health and wellness along with Dr. Oz, Dr. Mercola, Food Babe and Tim Ferriss. She writes at WellnessMama.com and can be found on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, G+, and Pinterest.