Why make your own mayonnaise? While the store bought stuff is a convenient and cheap option, it is filled with such nastiness as soybean or vegetable oil, preservatives and chemicals. This homemade, healthy mayonnaise on the other hand is packed with protein and good fats, and tastes incredible! This Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe is simple to make and is a healthy addition to a tuna or chicken salad.
Please note: it is very important that all the ingredients are at room temperature for this recipe. Having ingredients that are too hot or too cold can cause the mayo to separate or not emulsify. Any oils can be used for this, though I prefer coconut, olive, walnut or other healthy oils. MCT oil can also be used in place of coconut oil if you don’t like the coconut oil flavor.
- 4 egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 TBSP lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tsp regular or Dijon mustard (or ½ tsp dried mustard)
- Salt and pepper
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- ⅔ cup coconut oil (warm) or other healthy oil (macadamia works well)
- Put egg yolks into blender or bowl and whisk/blend until smooth
- Add lemon juice or vinegar, mustard and spices and blend until mixed
- SLOWLY add oil while blending or whisking at low speed, starting with olive oil. Start with a drop at a time until it starts to emulsify and then keep adding slowly until all oil is incorporated.
- Store in fridge up to 1 week.
Ever made mayo? If not, what are you waiting for? Tell me about it below!