Why make your own mayonnaise? While the store bought stuff is a convenient and cheap option, it is filled with such nastiness as soybean or vegetable oil, preservatives and chemicals. Homemade mayo on the other hand is packed with protein and good fats, and tastes incredible! Homemade Mayo is simple to make and is a healthy addition to a tuna or chicken salad.
- 4 egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 TBSP lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tsp regular or Dijon mustard (or ½ tsp dried mustard)
- salt and pepper
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- ⅔ cup coconut oil (warm) or other healthy oil (macadamia works well)
- Put egg yolks into blender or bowl and whisk/blend until smooth
- Add lemon juice or vinegar, mustard and spices and blend until mixed
- SLOWLY add oil while blending or whisking at low speed, starting with olive oil. Start with a drop at a time until it starts to emulsify and then keep adding slowly until all oil is incorporated.
- Store in fridge up to 1 week.
Ever made mayo? If not, what are you waiting for? Tell me about it!