When we went grain free, I thought I had given up the waffle iron forever. In fact, it sat in our attic for a year until the kids asked if we could make waffles again. I played around with a lot of ideas and eventually came up with this protein packed recipe for grain free, dairy optional, coconut flour waffles that are fast and easy to make! Just don’t try to eat as many of these as you could regular waffles- they are extra filling!
For a fast, on the go breakfast- make a waffle, cut in half and put eggs and bacon/sausage inside to make a fast and healthy breakfast sandwich! Check out some other breakfast ideas here.
- Crack the eggs into a medium sized bowl and beat with whisk or immersion blender
- Add the melted butter or oil, cinnamon, vanilla and salt and mix well
- Add the coconut flour and mix well (immersion blender is best for getting rid of clumps)
- Batter should be thick. If it is too thin, add a little more coconut flour.
- Spoon into heated and greased waffle iron and cook until light brown and firm to touch (about 3 minutes on mine)
- Serve with a pat of butter and some homemade strawberry syrup (heat frozen strawberries and blend) or pure maple syrup or almond butter.
What is your favorite waffle recipe? Have you made a healthy version of an unhealthy favorite? Tell me below!