When we ditched the grains, pancakes were one of the foods my kids missed most. We’ve seen so many health improvements that we definitely won’t be going back to the traditional version any time soon, but it has been on my list to figure out a healthy, real food pancake recipe for my family.
This effort was renewed when my daughter ate “regular” pancakes at someone’s house one day and had a tummy ache for the next two days.
Coconut Flour Pancakes
I tried sweet potato pancakes, almond flour pancakes, and several variations of coconut flour pancakes before realizing that the recipe was right in front of me. Turns out (as I found out on a busy morning) that the recipe for my Coconut Flour Apple Cinnamon Muffins can actually be made into pancakes as well.
If you don’t add the cinnamon, these guys also make pretty good “bread” for a breakfast sandwich with eggs and bacon. Also, try adding bananas, blueberries, etc. for some fun pancake variations!
Coconut Flour Pancakes Recipe
- Heat a large skillet or pancake griddle.
- Mix all ingredients except butter or coconut oil with blender, whisk, or immersion blender and let sit 5 minutes to thicken.
- Grease skillet or griddle with 1 Tablespoon coconut oil or butter.
- Use a ¼ cup measure to scoop batter onto cooking surface.
- Cook approximately 2-3 minutes per side until it bubbles and is easy to flip. These do take a little longer than "regular" pancakes, so don't rush them!
- Grease skillet or griddle with additional butter or coconut oil as needed between batches.
- Top with butter (it makes everything better!) and enjoy!
- Make this recipe without the cinnamon for a great breakfast sandwich bread OR
- after all ingredients are whisked together fold in favorite add-ins such as blueberries
Have you made real food pancakes? I’d love to hear your favorite recipe! Talk to me below!