Healthy eating doesn’t have to mean forgetting Pizza forever. This fun recipe tastes like regular Pizza but is much more filling and protein packed. The basic idea is that instead of a flour crust, you use ground beef and spices instead. The texture is amazingly similar, and this “Meatza” is great cold for breakfast the next morning (that reminds me of college!).
Try this delicious recipe, and let me know what you think!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- Seasonings of choice (I suggest basil, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and other herbs)
- Meat topping of choice (optional- I’ve used scrambled sausage, bacon, ham, leftover chicken, etc.)
- ½ lb Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Jar or Pasta/Pizza sauce
- Chopped veggies of choice (onion, bell pepper, spinach, olives, mushrooms, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- In medium bowl, mix 2 lbs ground beef with eggs and 2 T Parmesan cheese and any desired spices
- Mix well by hand until incorporated
- Spread onto greased cookie sheet (must have a lip on the sides)
- Roll or press the meat onto the bottom of the cookie sheet by hand. Once oven has preheated, put meat on cookie sheet into oven and cook about ten minutes until browned and most moisture has cooked off. It will reduce in size quite a bit! Just make sure it is cooked enough, you want it pretty solid.
- Remove from oven and put oven on broil
- Spread pasta/pizza sauce over “crust” then top with veggies, meat then mozzarella. I recommend putting some very thinly sliced onions on the top (uncooked) which brown nicely and add a nice crunch.
- Put back into oven under broiler and watch closely. It will only need to cook 4-5 minutes. Cook until cheese is lightly brown and bubbly.
- Remove, let cool 3 minutes, slice and serve. This is also really good cold for lunch the next day (or breakfast!) It has a similar texture to real pizza and tastes better, in my opinion.
- Serve with Salad