I can’t help it… I might be a lazy cook, but I just love an easy, healthy meal, that comes together quickly! (This is why my cookbook is full of one-pan recipes that take 30 minutes or less.) This grain-free taco bowl is a one-pan meal with quick prep, minimal cleanup, and tons of veggies.
Quick tip for moms of picky eaters: If it tastes like tacos, they will eat it!
Taco Bowl: Quick Eats on Busy Nights
This taco bowl recipe brings together all of the best flavors of Mexican food without the vegetable oil-drenched corn chips or flour tortillas! The stir-fry style presentation opens up all kinds of possibilities, like adding in an array of fresh or frozen veggies not normally found in a taco.
Use all of the favorite Mexican restaurant toppings too, depending on your family’s diet: raw cheese, cultured sour cream, fermented salsa, guacamole, fresh avocado or tomato, cilantro, or a squeeze of lime.
For nights when fresh produce is on hand, it’s easy to switch over to tacos in lettuce wraps for variety and a more traditional taco presentation.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Hack
If you love Mexican food as much as our family does, it makes sense to use a ready-made taco seasoning in place of all the individual spices that make up taco seasoning. Of course, I don’t mean buying those packets of taco mix from the store! Make your own homemade taco seasoning in bulk so it’s always handy but also fresh.
I printed out the recipe and taped it to the side of my jar so that it’s easily accessible when I need to refill it.
Taco Scramble for Breakfast?
Grain-free breakfasts can be a challenge. It helps me (and the family meal budget) to reuse last night’s leftovers for breakfast. If this sounds like a gross proposition, consider seasoned meat and colorful peppers folded into an omelet or vegetable frittata and topped with a sprinkle of cheese and Mexican hot sauce. Not as out of the box as it seems!
Leftover taco bowls also can also be easily packed for lunch. (It’s even good cold!)
I hope you give it a try!
Grain-Free Taco Bowl Recipe
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high until cooked.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the chopped onions, peppers, and squash, stirring frequently, until starting to soften.
- Return the meat to pan.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir.
- Add fresh spinach and continue to cook just until spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat and serve with any desired toppings.
Try these other favorite healthy high protein, grain free recipes:
- Beef and Cabbage – Build this meal in the same way as Taco Scramble, but use cabbage, carrots, basil, and oregano for a completely different flavor profile.
- Chicken and Vegetable – Chicken breasts, broccoli (even frozen!), and basil round out this simple but nourishing stir-fry.
- Beef and Broccoli – More traditional Asian stir-fry flavors, with healthier substitutes like coconut aminos for soy sauce and coconut oil for processed vegetable oil.
- Chicken Apple – An entirely different set of flavors, sautéed the same way in a quick stir-fry scramble. Fennel is a powerful detoxifier and blends well with the slight apple sweetness.
What is your go-to Mexican or stir-fry meal? Will you try this taco bowl recipe? Share below!