Pizza is definitely a kid favorite, but not usually a healthy one. My kids love our alternative, Meatza, but it is messy to make and takes multiple pans. I’m a huge fan of stir-frys and decided that the toppings of pizza would make a great sti- fry. After a few tries, I finally have a recipe that I really like and that the kids seem to love. In fact, I had to make it twice to get a picture because they ate the first batch before I could photograph it!
Pizza Stir-Fry: Easy Weeknight Meal
Stir-frys of all types are one of my favorite types of meals to make. They are fast and easy to make, loaded with vegetables, and only dirty one pan. I have plenty of “normal” stir-fry recipes in regular rotation, but this pizza stir-fry is one of my more creative recipes. I promise… it really tastes like pizza!
I use Italian seasonings, Italian sausage, and uncured pepperoni and all the pizza vegetables — mushrooms, fresh spinach, black olives, onions, and bell peppers. I also toss in some diced zucchini. Feel free to use whatever combination of pizza veggies you like best.
I top each bowl with a couple spoonfuls of warmed pasta sauce or pizza sauce and a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella. You could even put the (oven-safe) bowls under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Other Ways to Serve Pizza Stir-Fry
The Italian sausage in this stir-fry makes it a surprisingly good breakfast as well as dinner. Or make a pizza omelet by using the stir-fry as the omelet filling and topping with warmed pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella.
More Stir-Fry Recipes
Check out the list below for some of my other stir-fry recipes:
- Beef and Cabbage Stir-Fry
- Spicy Shrimp Stir-Fry
- Chicken Apple Stir-Fry
- Greek Stir-Fry
- Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Chicken Squash Stir-Fry
- My next goal: recreate this Szechuan Chicken Stir-Fry recipe
Pizza Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash
- 1-2 cups mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 10 oz pepperoni (sliced)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup black olives
- ½ cup banana peppers
- 1 cup pizza sauce (or pasta sauce)
- 1 cup mozzarella or Parmesan cheese (shredded, optional)
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until cooked.
- While the sausage is cooking, peel and dice the zucchini and slice the mushrooms, onion, and bell peppers.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and saute until starting to get tender.
- Return the sausage to the pan.
- Separate the pepperoni slices and add them to the pan with the sausage and vegetables.
- Slice the black olives and banana peppers and add them to the pan.
- Add the spinach, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Cook and stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Warm the sauce in a saucepan on the stove and grate the cheese.
- Divide the stir-fry among bowls, top with sauce and cheese if using.
Have you made some stir-frys with “creative” ingredients? What’s your favorite combo?