It’s no secret that I love to make stir-frys for dinner. A meal that is fast and easy, healthy, and only uses one pan checks all my boxes. Like most of my other stir-fry recipes, such as my go-to beef and cabbage stir-fry, this spicy shrimp stir-fry recipe was born on a night when I had 20 minutes to get dinner ready, nothing in the fridge, a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer, and an abundance of fresh squash and peppers in the garden.
Spicy Shrimp Stir-Fry With Peppers and Onions
For this, I used a mixture of spicy and sweet peppers, but it can easily be adapted with just sweet peppers to tone down the heat. You can use whatever size shrimp you like. I like to use the little salad shrimps because they are just the right size for little mouths. I used precooked shrimp for this stir-fry, but if you’d like to use raw ones, you absolutely can. They’ll just need to be cooked a little longer. (If you’ve never cleaned and peeled shrimp, check out this video.)
How to Serve
Frequently, stir-frys are served over rice or rice noodles. While we do eat white rice occasionally, I prefer to make my noodles from vegetables with a spiral slicer.
This stir-fry is great as is, but if you think it needs noodles, I suggest leaving the zucchini out of the stir-fry and turning them into zoodles (zucchini noodles) instead.
It’s always a win when a thrown together meal turns out and in fact becomes a favorite family recipe. My family enjoyed it, and it took under half an hour from start to finish! It’s absolutely one we’ll be making again.
Spicy Shrimp Stir-Fry Recipe
- 4 sweet peppers
- 2-3 spicy peppers (optional)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- ¼ cup olive oil (or coconut oil or butter)
- 3 medium summer squash
- 1 lb precooked shrimp (thawed)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 oz cream cheese (optional)
- Thinly slice the peppers and onions.
- Melt olive oil, coconut oil, or butter in a skillet or wok on medium-high heat.
- Toss in the onions and peppers and saute.
- While the onions and peppers are cooking, peel the squash and cut down the middle lengthwise.
- Cut the squash into long strips and then into ½ inch pieces.
- Add them to the skillet or wok.
- Saute for 10 minutes or until almost cooked.
- Throw in the defrosted, precooked shrimp.
- Stir in the spices.
- Continue cooking until the shrimp are heated.
- Add the cream cheese if using and stir well to melt.
- Serve immediately.
Like this recipe? Check out my new cookbook, or get all my recipes (over 500!) in a personalized weekly meal planner here!
If you’d like to try more stir-fry recipes, here are some others that I’ve made:
- Moroccan Stir-Fry
- Chinese Chicken Stir-Fry
- Pizza Stir-Fry
- Sausage Squash Stir-Fry
- Chicken Apple Stir-Fry
What’s your favorite stir-fry recipe? Share below!
Discussion (2 Comments)
I love it! Simple and tasty, gotta try it!
Hey I have been browsing through your site all morning and I just gotta ask: why do you use dairy products? Thankyou