My kids love healthy smoothies for breakfasts and snacks. I usually use a combination of fruits and vegetables and throw in some kind of dairy, or nut butter, or collagen powder for protein. We’ve tried several tasty combinations over the years and are always on the lookout for a new recipe to try. This orange creamsicle smoothie reminds me of those orange push pops we all enjoyed as kids. It’s the perfect summertime snack.
How Do I Make an Orange Creamsicle Smoothie?
Well, I wanted it to be cold and refreshing, just like the frozen popsicle treats I used to love. Obviously, it needed to be orangey and smooth and creamy and a little bit sweet.
To achieve those parameters, the secret ingredient I use is frozen banana. I don’t know about you all, but I never can tell whether bananas are going to get eaten when I buy them or not. When I end up with a bunch that doesn’t get eaten I peel and freeze them to use in smoothies. They add creaminess, thickness, and the coldness needed without having to use ice.
To get the orange flavor, I use orange juice and sometimes orange zest as well if it’s just not tasting orangey enough for me.
Usually, I use coconut milk for the liquid, but you can really use pretty much any dairy or nut milk you like. I change it up from time to time based on what’s in my fridge.
I also like to throw in some vanilla collagen powder as well for added protein and digestion benefits. It’s an ingredient that I use in a lot of my smoothies. If it’s not a topic you’re familiar with, I encourage you to check out this post.
More Smoothie Fun
If orange and banana isn’t your thing, or if you’re just looking to build your smoothie repertoire, check out some of our other favorites:
- Creamy Berry Smoothie – I use blueberry, banana, and cashew butter
- Cucumber Lime Green Smoothie – a delicious blend of veggies and citrus fruits
- Cucumber Melon Mint Smoothie – I know, this one is more of a blended water drink than a creamy smoothie. But it’s very refreshing!
- Fruit Smoothie Sorbet – I freeze this one to make it into a sorbet or pour it into a glass straight from the blender for a smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Smoothie – I enjoy this one in the summer or fall!
- Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie – This one is one of our favorites. I blend in cottage cheese for a smooth, creamy treat
- Not mine, but I love beets, so maybe I’ll try this one next
Orange Creamsicle Smoothie Recipe
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy immediately!
Do you like smoothies for breakfast? What’s your favorite combination?