My kids love fish sticks and figuring out a healthy recipe for them was a high priority when we adapted to a healthier way of eating. These take very little time to make and the fish can be cut different sizes to make fish nuggets or regular breaded fillets of fish (for the over 5 crowd).
We serve our fish sticks with dipping sauce and a salad for a simple comfort food meal. Delish!
How to Make Homemade Fish Sticks
I am all about remaking unhealthy favorites into nourishing and delicious real-food recipes. These healthy fish sticks are a great solution to the deep-fried, processed, flour-coated favorite made with questionable minced fish.
To make fish sticks at home, first choose your fish. Any wild-caught white fish, such as cod, mahi mahi, or halibut will work just fine for this recipe. (This post has some additional tips about choosing a safe fish source. We order ours from Vital Choice whenever possible.)
Next, cut the fish into your preferred shape. Strips or cubes of fish make fish sticks or nuggets that are perfect for picking up and dipping. You can also leave the fish in whole fillets for topping a salad or eating as-is.
After that, dip the fish first into beaten egg and then a seasoned coconut flour breading. This step can be done in advance and then kept in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook or even frozen for cooking at a later date.
The only remaining step is to pan fry the breaded fish on the stove. Don’t be intimidated! It’s super easy to do and due to the small size of the pieces, only takes a few minutes per piece. I use a little coconut oil or butter heated in a skillet to fry in.
Serving Homemade Fish Sticks
Let the fish rest on a paper towel lined plate until they’re slightly cooled and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. My kids like our homemade ketchup, but you can also use a tartar sauce or my spiced harissa mayo recipe.
Another fun and tasty option for serving the fish sticks is to fold them in lettuce or cabbage leaves with chunks of mango and avocado and a little sour cream for gluten-free fish tacos!
Homemade Fish Sticks Recipe
Fat for Frying:
- ¼ cup coconut oil (or butter)
- Cut the fish into strips or chunks.
- Heat the fat you are using to fry in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- While the fat is heating, beat the eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the coconut flour, spices, and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip the fish pieces first in the egg and then in the coconut flour breading and place carefully in the preheated skillet.
- Flip when they start to brown cooking approximately 3-5 minutes per side.
Other Healthy Seafood Recipes (Kids Will Eat!)
- Grain-Free Pecan Crusted Flounder (Delicious and Easy!)
- Fresh & Simple Fish Taco Salad
- Baked Coconut Shrimp With Piña Colada Sauce
- One-Pan Baked Salmon Asparagus Recipe
Does your family enjoy fish sticks? Ever made your own?