Gary Taubes is an award-winning scientist, health journalist, and author. You may know his books Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat. Now he has a new book called The Case for Keto that really deep dives into the data about the unprecedented epidemics of chronic disease, obesity, and diabetes in our society.
Especially with everything going on in the world today, we are more aware than ever that metabolic conditions put us at increased risk for other kinds of illness or chronic conditions as well. Today we really go into the specifics about how to reverse metabolic disease and reduce your risk of complications going forward. I think you’ll learn a lot from Gary even if you already know a lot about keto. I know I did!
Episode Highlights With Gary Taubes
- Why understanding the history of dietary advice in the U.S. is so important
- What a low fat, high carb diet really does to health
- A hidden reason why some people are lean and some are overweight (it’s not just calories!)
- Why hormones have everything to do with weight
- The role of insulin in the body
- The percentage of Americans who have metabolic dysfunction
- Can high fat, high protein from animal sources be healthy?
- Our misunderstandings about cholesterol
- The best approach to keto for women
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- The Case for Keto
- Why We Get Fat
- Good Calories, Bad Calories
- Levels Glucose Monitor
- The Phantom Tollbooth
More From Wellness Mama
- 319: Everything You Need to Know About the Keto Diet With Dr. Dominic D’Agostino
- 234: The Keto-Green Way to Optimize Hormones & Libido With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- 201: Understanding Fasting & Keto for Women (Even During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding) + Instant Pot Tips
- 7 Day Keto Meal Plan for Women (Ideas + Easy Recipes)
- How to Do a Ketogenic Diet (& Is It Safe for Women?)
- The Benefits of Autophagy & Ketosis
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Flying Embers, a better-for-you alcohol brand that brews Hard Kombucha with probiotic-powered Hard Seltzer. All of their products are zero sugar, zero carbs, USDA certified organic, and brewed with live probiotics and adaptogens. They’re also all keto, gluten-free, vegan, and low in calories, so they’re a great option for a functional low-calorie drink that is delicious. I love their flavors. They have some really unique ones, like Grapefruit Thyme and Guava Jalapeno, and I’m a big fan of their Clementine Hibiscus. All of their products are artfully crafted with a dry fermentation process, which gives the Hard Kombucha a perfectly balanced natural sweetness that tastes amazing despite having zero sugar and carbs. We’ve worked out an exclusive deal just for you. Receive 15% off your whole order. To claim this deal, go to flyingembers.com/wellnessmama and use code “wellnessmama” at checkout. This discount is only available on their website and will be applied at checkout. And they’re also available nationwide at grocery stores, anywhere you find beer and hard seltzers, but check out where to find them and get the discount, flyingembers.com/wellnessmama.
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that is based on the recipes I’ve been making at home in my kitchen for decades. Many “clean” products simply don’t work and this is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but contain ingredients that work better than their conventional alternatives and that nourish your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to finally share these products with you and wanted to tell you about our brand new dry shampoo! It can be used various ways. You can sprinkle it in clean hair to add volume and to extend time between washes, sprinkle it in hair that has not been washed in a day or two to absorb oil or sweat and you can work in to color treated hair to maintain color-treated hair by not having to wash as often. It contains oil-absorbing kaolin clay and volume-boosting tapioca which work together to refresh hair at the roots. Lavender oil and cactus flower help to balance scalp and strands’ natural pH. We even added hibiscus for healthy hair growth. You can check it out and try it at wellnesse.com and my tip is to grab a bundle to save or subscribe and save as well!