Light and our exposure to it (or lack of) has everything to do with our hormone balance, how we age, the quality of our sleep, and so much more. I’m here with Andy Mant, the founder and CEO of BLUblox, one of my favorite sources for light-filtering eyewear.
Andy knows this topic inside and out as you can imagine, so we go a number of different directions on this podcast. We take a look at the overall nature of light, how it affects us, the differences between natural and artificial light, and what all the fuss is about blue light in particular.
Episode Highlights With Andy Mant
- Why to go outside as soon as possible after waking up
- Why natural light at night (fires, the moon, stars, etc.) is so different
- The way light creates a cascade of hormones (good or bad) and how to use this to your advantage
- Important reasons to avoid LED lights, at least at certain times
- How to choose good lighting for your home
- The reason light can directly correlate to cortisol
- How wavelength and flicker are important factors for indoor lighting
- The reason light angle matters for health
- How red light can help repair and protect against blue light and sun damage
- A reason to consider only using infrared during daylight hours
- The science-backed reason that wearing sunglasses might actually increase your chances of sunburn
- Ways light affects the thyroid and how to use this to your advantage
- Why melatonin is such an important antioxidant and how to improve yours
- The reason eating late at night leads to weight gain (hint: light is a factor here too)
- How to use temperature, food and exercise to your advantage (with light) for optimal circadian rhythm
- Why we need more sleep in the winter (and why this is a good thing for apoptosis and autophagy)
- How to stack healthy habits with light inputs for an exponential effect
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- BLUblox (use code WELLNESSMAMA for 20% off)
- Chili Pad
- Blackout Curtains
- Article: The Benefits of Red Light Therapy (Photobiomodulation)
- Podcast 373: Why Sunlight Is As Important As Nutrition and Exercise for Health & Lifespan With Ari Whitten
- Article: Manipulating Blue Light to Improve Health
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss
More From Wellness Mama
- 301: How to Use Light to Drastically Improve Health With Matt Maruca
- 426: Everything You Need to Know About Sleep and Melatonin With Lisa Shank
- 189: How Red Light Therapy or Photobiomodulation Works & How to Get the Benefits With Joovv
- Why I Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses (at Night)
- How I Reduced My Cortisol Levels Naturally With Food & Light
What did you learn in this episode? Anything else you’d like us to talk about? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse. We make personal care products that go above and beyond just non-toxic to actually be beneficial for you from the outside in. I realized years ago that even some of my most naturally minded friends and family members who made an effort to eat organic food and be really cognizant of what they brought into their homes were still using certain personal care products, mainly hair care and oral care. And the reason was, they weren’t willing to sacrifice how they looked and felt just to use natural products. And none of the natural products they were finding really lived up to the conventional products as far as how effective they were. So, I resolved to change this and realized I had things that I’ve been making in my kitchen for years that worked just as well and that I could share with other families, and thus Wellnesse was born. You’ve probably heard that what goes on our body gets into our body and that many of the chemicals we encounter end up in our bloodstream. To me, this means non-toxic and safe should be the absolute bare minimum baseline for any products that are in our lives. But I wanted to take it a step further. I wanted it to use this to our advantage to actually put beneficial ingredients in our hair care, toothpaste, personal care products so that we could benefit our body from the outside in. Why not use that wonderful skin barrier to our advantage? Our hair care is packed with ingredients like nettle, which helps hair get thicker over time. Our dry shampoo has scalp promoting products that really help follicles stay strong. And our toothpaste, for instance, has a naturally occurring mineral called hydroxyapatite, which is the exact formulation or exact mineral that’s on our teeth that’s present in strong enamel. So they’re all designed to work with the body, not against it to help you have stronger, healthier hair and teeth. We now have a hand sanitizer that doesn’t dry out your hands like many hand sanitizers do. I would be honored if you would check it out and I would love to hear your feedback. You can find all of our products at wellnesse.com.
This episode is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. They’re on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean, effective products that really work. Every year we decide to be more healthy this time of year. And to do that, we need to start by supporting our immune systems, especially right now. That’s why they’ve created a whole hive of products packed with immune loving essentials, so you can feel your best every day. One of my favorites is their Propolis Throat Spray, which is an easy daily spray for just general immune support and is also very soothing for sore scratchy throats. Propolis delivers natural germ-fighting properties and antioxidants to defend and protect our bodies. Theirs is sustainably sourced and it’s made with just three simple ingredients. You’ll never find refined sugars, dyes, or dirty chemicals in their products ever. When you’re ready to upgrade your immune system and your medicine cabinet, check out Beekeeper’s Naturals and discover all of their clean remedies that your family will love. You can save 15% on your first order by going to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama.