Today we’re going in a different direction but it’s one more closely related to physical health than we often realize. I am here with Dr. Kelly Brogan, MD, whom you have heard from before. (See the show notes below for her first episode.) She’s board-certified in psychiatry, psychosomatic medicine, and integrative holistic medicine and specializes in root cause resolution as an approach to psychiatric syndromes and symptoms (not to mention graduating from Cornell and M.I.T.)
Dr. Kelly has a lot of fascinating things to say about the anxiety, depression, and mental health struggles so many women face. She’s reframing the entire conversation and has authored the New York Times bestselling book A Mind of your Own as well as the children’s book A Time for Rain. She’s also co-editor of the landmark (and much-needed) textbook Integrative Therapies for Depression.
In this conversation, we get super vulnerable about life changes that come with being a mother and something she calls a dark night of the soul. We all have a lot to share with each other on this topic I’m sure, so please chime in and let me know if you can related and what you think in the comments.
Learning to Own Yourself: Episode Highlights
- Why we might need to reframe the stories we’ve learned about birth, mothering, and the emotional realm
- What the dark night of the soul is
- How to know if this is what you’re facing
- Why symptoms can be a beautiful invitation
- The things we all have things where we love to be “right about being wrong”
- How emotions get coded physically in the body
- Whether men experience anything similar
- And more!
Resources We Mention
Books by Kelly Brogan
- Own Your Self: The Surprising Path beyond Depression, Anxiety, and Fatigue to Reclaiming Your Authenticity, Vitality, and Freedom
- A Mind of Your Own: The Truth About Depression and How Women Can Heal Their Bodies to Reclaim Their Lives
- A Time for Rain (A Book for Parent and Child)
- Books by Byron Katie
- Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker
- The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know Is Possible by Charles Eisenstein
- Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsch
More From Wellness Mama
- 90: A Mind Of Your Own: Tackling Mental Illness and Fixing Hormones with Dr. Kelly Brogan
- 196: How the Modern World Is Changing Our Hormones (& How to Create a Balance Plan)
- 288: Breakthrough Solutions for Anxiety, Depression and PTSD With Apollo Founder Dr. David Rabin
- 83: Beating Postpartum Depression & Pelvic Floor Care with Dr. Jolene Brighten
- 230: Chalene Johnson on How to Protect Your Mindset & Live a Balanced Life
- 289: Stoic Wisdom for Modern Life and Parenting With Ryan Holiday
- 122: A Healthy Baby Is NOT the Only Thing That Matters (& Is Home Birth Safe?)
- Why Balance Is a Moving Target & How I (Sometimes) Hit It
- Shattering Six Common Pregnancy and Childbirth Fears
Have you or a loved one been affected by a “dark night of the soul”? Join the conversation! Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Fabletics, my go-to source for quality affordable athletic wear. This company was founded by Kate Hudson with a mission to bring trendy athletic wear to everyone at affordable prices. Here’s how it works… After taking a super quick, 60 second style quiz, you’ll receive a personalized showroom of pieces specifically catered towards your own unique style. Right now, you can get 2 leggings for only $24 ($99 value) as a VIP at fabletics.com/wellnessmama. This includes my favorite – the high waisted powerhold leggings that is flattering – even in all the places I have a little loose skin from past pregnancies. Make sure you enter your email address at the end of the quiz, as you’ll receive exclusive monthly discounts and the inside scoop about new collections that haven’t been released yet. Again, check out fabletics.com/wellnessmama and grab the deal while you can and check out my favorite powerhold leggings while they’re still in stock as styles change monthly.
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic, my source for superfood coffees, teas and elixirs that contain powerhouse mushrooms for better performance, sleep and health. I’ve been asked several times what the name means… and it’s a cool story…Basically, if you put all the foods in the world on a scale from bad to good, many would fall in the middle as average. The farther you get away from the average, the more rare it is, and the more “sigmas” it has. Only 50 superfoods in the world qualify as Four Sigmatic away from the average… these are the best of the best, the highest quality, and the products Four Sigmatic uses in their products. My favorites are the coffee with lions mane in the morning, reishi elixer or reishi cocoa at night to wind down, and any of their other products in between. My kids love their chai and superfood hot cocoa but I’d recommend all of their products. Save 15% on any order with the code wellnessmama at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama