Today’s guest, Ryan Holiday, has been on my dream list of interviews for a long time. He is the best-selling author of many books including Ego is the Enemy, The Obstacle is the Way, and his newest Stillness is the Key, along with the Daily Stoic, a book I read one page from each morning.
Ryan’s ideas have changed the way I parent, and I think you’ll see why after this episode!
Episode Highlights With Ryan Holiday
- Learn how Ryan and Katie both dropped out of college at 19 and why
- The core ideas of stoicism including that we don’t control what happens to us, we only control how we respond
- Core stoic virtues of wisdom, justice, courage, and temperance
- How ancient stoic ideas are applicable to modern life and parenting
- The importance of a mindset shift about obstacles
- Why to never waste a trigger
- How to go from obstacles being bad to seeing them as beneficial
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Book: The Little Girl at the Window
- Book: Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
- Book: The Second Mountain: The Quest for a Moral Life
- Book: Fishing for Fun: And to Wash Your Soul
Books by Ryan Holiday
- Stillness Is the Key
- The Obstacle Is the Way (With Tim Ferriss)
- Ego Is the Enemy
- The Daily Stoic Journal
More From Wellness Mama
- 281: Building Resiliency, Mindset and Doing the Impossible With Joel Runyon
- 230: Chalene Johnson on How to Protect Your Mindset & Live a Balanced Life
- 223: Mindset for Moms & Tips to Get More Done & Stress Less This Year
- 206: Your Parenting Mojo on Why We Need to Let Our Kids Take More Risks
- 8 Life Lessons to Learn From Children
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
Todays podcast is sponsored by one of my favorite companies, Four Sigmatic. All of the delicious coffees, teas and elixirs from Four Sigmatic are such a part of my daily routine that I can’t even remember the last time a day went by when I didn’t consume at least one of their products. With both caffeine free and naturally caffeinated options like coffee and matcha combined with superfood mushrooms like chaga, cordyceps and reishi, these drinks are functional and delicious. My normal routine is to drink coffee with lions mane in the morning, cordyceps or chaga while I work during the day and reishi to wind down at night. Check out all of their products and save 15% on any order with the code wellnessmama at https://foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama/
This podcast is brought to you by Magic Spoon Cereal. I know, I know… never thought you’d hear me recommend cereal, did you? That’s because almost every cereal out there is full of refined sugars and grains and often GMO ingredients and dyes. Yet, Americans certainly love it! In fact, the average American consumes 100+ bowls a year, and that number accounts for people like me who don’t consume any at all! Now, cereal lovers can rejoice that there is a high protein, low carb, grain-free, gluten-free, nothing artificial, childlike cereal for grown ups. With 12 g of protein per bowl and only 3 g of carbs it tastes like the cereal you remember but without the sugar high or the guilt! Check out https://magicspoon.com/wellnessmama/ for all the details.