I am excited to be here with Camila Alves McConaughey, and we had such a fun conversation on so many areas related to parenting and food. We talk about everything from her new book (which is a really fun, educational book that helps combat picky eating), parenting, the importance of community and the community that she runs called Women of Today. She also shares how she implements these aspects in her own home, how she encourages her kids to enjoy nutrient-dense foods, and how she encourages them to make healthy food choices without ever forcing it.
We also talk about mom guilt, the guidelines they have in their home for technology, how they model what is important to their family culture to their children, and how motherhood is always a priority, even when things get most busy. It was such a fun conversation. I really respect the work that she does, especially around the topic of community and how important that is for women and especially moms. And she’s very aligned with our mission at Wellness Mama with a focus on helping other women, realizing just how powerful moms are, and if we support each other as women and moms, that can make a tremendous difference in society. So lots of different directions in this conversation and I hope you enjoy!
Episode Highlights With Camila Alves McConaughey
- Her lessons from living in countries around the world and how to get these experiences at home
- How she keeps family time a priority even when she’s most busy
- Her method for keeping a list of priorities
- How she deals with mom guilt
- The one bite rule for healthy food that helps her
- How her family educates about food without the guilt or shame or negative emotional around food
- Technology guidelines in the McConaughey home and how they handle screen time and privacy
- Her strategies for balancing work and kids without getting burned out
- How she encourages a healthy relationships with food and a healthy relationships with their bodies as they grow
- The importance of starting the conversation early with kids about food and health
- Ways to model healthy habits early with our kids
- How she handles picky eaters and kids gravitating towards sugar
- Her advice: start early
Resources We Mention
- Just Try One Bite by Camila Alves McConaughey
- Women of Today
- Chef Junior: 100 Super Delicious Recipes by Kids for Kids!
- The Bible
More From Wellness Mama
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.