Happy New Year to you! Hopefully we are all enjoying a little down time today with the family, so this episode will be short and sweet but I hope you’ll join me in thinking ahead to next year…
I don’t mean this in the sense of typical New Year’s resolutions — those lofty goals that we often forget about too quickly — but I mean the chance to challenge ourselves to make small but significant changes.
As I think about the habit shifts I want to focus on this year, there are 21 mini-challenges or goals that come to mind that have really helped me in my life. My list is always growing and changing, so I hope you’ll share your “aha” moments with me in the comments as well!
Episode Highlights: My Mini-Goals for 2019
- Reduce or eliminate single-use plastics — saying no to straws, cups, water bottles, shopping bags.
- Focus on gratitude and simplification — finding little things to be grateful for.
- Use a kitchen safe during family dinner.
- Drink lemon water or plain water in the morning.
- Get morning sunshine or take a walk.
- Set a bedtime on my phone (and put phone away somewhere besides my room).
- Keep a challenge journal.
- Make time for silence.
- Bullet journal when I can’t sleep.
- Create a positive phrase as a daily reminder. (Mine is: “Everything will work out perfectly.”)
- Read for just 5 minutes a day.
- Check email and social media only once a day.
- Say no a lot more (and why).
- Write a note a week to someone I love saying thanks (fun stationery linked below!).
- Create a social group or dinner party that meets on a regular basis.
- Listen to TED talks in the morning.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Write down “top three” MITs daily (most important tasks).
- Create 10 ideas a day and write them down (see James Altucher article below).
- Set reminders in your phone to stretch and move.
- Get enough protein in the morning!
- Why I Don’t Make New Year’s Resolutions & What I Do Instead (+ The Best of 2018)
- 2015 study on gratitude
- Kitchen safe for cell phones
- JustThrive probiotics
- Oura ring
- Four Sigmatic reishi
- Funny stationery to start writing notes/letters
- Branch Basics (concentrated natural cleaner to reduce plastic use – code MAMA15 gives 15% off starter kits)
- Blog post: How to Become an Idea Machine (James Altucher)
Books I Recommend
- Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
- Forever Fat Loss
- The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman by Tim Ferriss
- The Metabolism Reset Diet and The Adrenal Reset Diet by Dr. Alan Christianson
- See this post for more of my favorite books!
Podcasts I Enjoy
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- Found My Fitness (Dr. Rhonda Patrick)
- Stuff You Should Know
- Ben Greenfield Podcast
- Hardcore History
- 124: Happy New Year 2018! Setting Challenges + Experiments Instead of Resolutions
- Health Benefits of Gratitude (& Why We Have to Work at It)
- How I Reduced My Cortisol Levels Naturally With Food & Light
- How to Reduce Plastic Use in the Home
- The Dangers of Plastic
- Ecotherapy: The Health Benefits of Nature
- How Your Phone Is Changing Your Brain
- How to Increase Happiness in 5 Minutes a Day
- The Importance of Writing Thank You Notes
Ok, I’m listening and ready to take notes… I learn so much from all of you and I’d love to hear even what you plan to experiment with this year! Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let me know!