In a time when we all probably feel more stress and uncertainty than usual, I invited Dr. David Rabin back for a second episode. Dr. Rabin has made a science of developing simple, non-invasive measures to better handle common emotional states like anxiety, stress, isolation, and overwhelm.
During his research at the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Rabin developed a wearable device called the Apollo that uses the neuroscience of touch and vibration to combat the negative effects of stress. I personally use it and I notice a big difference when I wear it. It’s a promising path toward helping kids with conditions like ADD and ADHD, not to mention moms suffering from anxiety and depression.
Dr. Rabin is also helping to organize the world’s largest controlled study of psychedelic medicines at Yale, the University of Southern California, and Mt. Sinai for application like medication-resistant mental illness. He’s one of the most intelligent incredible experts I’ve ever talked to on a lot of these topics.
He does not disappoint in this episode!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Rabin
- How to increase a sense of calm in a few minutes (wherever you are and whatever you’re going through)
- The difference between being alone and feeling lonely
- Ways to find benefits in temporary isolation or loneliness
- What we can learn from the practice of gratitude
- Why Dr. Rabin and I love the Four Agreements so much!
- Emotions that are the “firefighters” of the body and signal a deeper need or problem
- The one thing that will make all the difference the next time you’re feeling stressed or anxious
- Benefits and uses of ketamine and other psychedelics (and why it’s controversial)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Apollo (wearable device – get 15% off at this link)
- David Rabin, MD
- 288: Breakthrough Solutions for Anxiety, Depression and PTSD With Apollo Founder Dr. David Rabin
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
More From Wellness Mama
- 317: Tackling Insomnia, Anxiety, Weight, and Hormones Naturally With Esther Blum
- 313: The Tapping Solution to Reduce Anxiety, Stress, and Pain With Nick Ortner
- 282: An Electric Approach to Fitness, Rehabilitation, and Brain Health With NeuFit
- 238: Using Neuroplasticity to Rewire Nervous System or Brain Disorders With Carol Garner-Houston
- 110: How Vibrational Frequencies Affect Our Daily Lives
- 157: How Music Like Wholetones Can Change the Brain and the Body
- Tips to Naturally Reduce Stress, Starting Now!
- My Favorite Health Apps for Mind, Body and Hormones
What did you think? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, a new company I co-founded to bring the best personal care products from my family to yours. Our whitening toothpaste is based on my DIY formula that I have been making and perfecting for over a decade. Now, after almost 100 rounds of tweaking the formula and thousands of positive reviews, I could not be more proud to share this with your family. Have you ever read a tube of normal toothpaste? I did when my older kids were little, and I found a warning that said, “Warning, keep away from children. Do not swallow. If ingested contact Poison Control or seek medical attention immediately.” That seemed a little extreme for something that I was putting in my mouth and my children’s mouth multiple times a day. And I didn’t want my kids using something that often that I would need to call a poison control center if they accidentally swallowed. I set out to create a truly safe and effective alternative. And the Wellnesse Whitening toothpaste is just that. It’s designed to support the oral microbiome and the natural process of saliva and teeth so that teeth can stay white and strong. This dentist approved formula is safe for the whole family and will leave your teeth shiny and your breath fresh. You can check out our toothpaste and our completely natural hair food hair care products at wellnesse.com. An insider tip, if you grab an essentials bundle or try autoship, you will lock in a discount so that you can try everything at a great price.
This podcast is sponsored by BLUblox. That’s B-L-U-B-L-O-X, which is an advanced light-filtering eyewear company. You’ve probably seen pictures of me on social media wearing orange glasses of various types at night. And here’s why. In nature, we aren’t exposed to certain types of light after dark, specifically, blue light, because that type of light signals the body that it’s daytime. That in turn suppresses melatonin and can interfere with sleep. This is the reason that a really dramatic study found that camping for seven days straight with no artificial light at all could actually completely reset and heal circadian rhythm and help a lot of light-related problems, like seasonal affective disorder. This is also the reason that I wear orange glasses after dark to block these types of light and protect my sleep, which I am adamant about protecting. I also wear certain types of yellow glasses and anti-fatigue glasses during the day if I want a computer to reduce eye fatigue. BLUblox has orange glasses and yellow glasses. Their orange glasses for nighttime wear are designed to block 100% of the wavelengths between 400 nanometers and 550 nanometers, which are the ones that are studied to interfere with sleep and melatonin production, and circadian rhythm. My kids also wear these kinds of glasses at night. And I noticed a difference in their sleep as well, which is a huge win for a mom. This is especially important when we’re watching a family movie at night or looking at any kind of screen as the artificial light, there is a source of blue light and can interfere with sleep. You can learn more, they have a ton of educational content and check out all of their innovative protective glasses by going to blublox.com/wellnessmama and using the code wellnessmama to save 15%.